All Apps and Add-ons

what actually dnslookup doing in my query? and what is it?

pavanae
Builder

Generally, In splunk the below is the way to open or display a lookup file

| inputlookup ABCD.csv

but what does the below lookup used in between my query

| inputlookup ABCD.csv | lookup dnslookup field_1 AS Field_one OUTPUT field_2 AS field_two

While trying to understand the above query. The first thing I tried is below to check what's inside the lookup dnslookup

| inputlookup dnslookup

which didn't displayed any results. Could someone explains what actually | lookup dnslookup does in my query and how to check what's inside that lookup?

0 Karma
1 Solution

mayurr98
Super Champion

This is a DNS lookup example, the CSV file contains the two fields clienthost and clientip. It is an external_lookup.py file invoked through scripts that is why you can not see using inputlookup command.
Here is doc which says this
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Knowledge/DefineanexternallookupinSplunkWeb#Extern...

so if you have clientip you can get clienthost or vice-versa using this lookup file.
Also on Web UI it is configured in Settings » Lookups » Lookup definitions » dnslookup

let me know if it helps !

View solution in original post

mayurr98
Super Champion

This is a DNS lookup example, the CSV file contains the two fields clienthost and clientip. It is an external_lookup.py file invoked through scripts that is why you can not see using inputlookup command.
Here is doc which says this
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/Knowledge/DefineanexternallookupinSplunkWeb#Extern...

so if you have clientip you can get clienthost or vice-versa using this lookup file.
Also on Web UI it is configured in Settings » Lookups » Lookup definitions » dnslookup

let me know if it helps !

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...