All Apps and Add-ons

ta_windows_action

teak421
Path Finder

Hi. I'm getting the Windows Infrastructure App up and running and in one of the events, I am getting a failure on ta_windows_action. The event was a process creation that showed success. Is there some sort of documentation (searched here and on Google) that explains what that field is (or others...basically a reference.) Thanks!

1 Solution

arcsight_guru
Explorer

I have noticed the same thing, but in the Splunk_TA_windows app. I guess the same logic applies to the Infra as well. There is an EVAL in props.conf that sets the field ta_windows_action based on the value of Status. And if there is no match a default value of "failure" is set. So the meaning of "failure" is basically "failure to set a proper value in this field ". Which, in my opinion, is confusing. It should say "unknown" or just leave it blank. Also the coverage of this field in the logs seems very low so a lot of the events has this field set to failure.

This is the EVAL statement in the Windows-app:

props.conf

EVAL-ta_windows_action = case(upper(Status) == "0XC000006F", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000070", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC000015B", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000234", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000064", "unknown", upper(Status) == "0XC0000133", "error", upper(Status) == "0XC0000225", "error", 1=1 , "failure")

My way forward is to create an override of this and changing the text "failure" to "unknown" instead.

View solution in original post

arcsight_guru
Explorer

I have noticed the same thing, but in the Splunk_TA_windows app. I guess the same logic applies to the Infra as well. There is an EVAL in props.conf that sets the field ta_windows_action based on the value of Status. And if there is no match a default value of "failure" is set. So the meaning of "failure" is basically "failure to set a proper value in this field ". Which, in my opinion, is confusing. It should say "unknown" or just leave it blank. Also the coverage of this field in the logs seems very low so a lot of the events has this field set to failure.

This is the EVAL statement in the Windows-app:

props.conf

EVAL-ta_windows_action = case(upper(Status) == "0XC000006F", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000070", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC000015B", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000234", "denied", upper(Status) == "0XC0000064", "unknown", upper(Status) == "0XC0000133", "error", upper(Status) == "0XC0000225", "error", 1=1 , "failure")

My way forward is to create an override of this and changing the text "failure" to "unknown" instead.

teak421
Path Finder

Thanks a ton for your response..!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...