All Apps and Add-ons

ta_browscap_express: "Script for lookup table 'browscap_lookup_express' returned error code 1. Results may be incorrect." after upgrade to Splunk 6.4

edwinmae
Path Finder

TA-Browscap_express was working just fine (Linux / Splunk Server 6.3) but after the upgrade to Splunk Server 6.4 (also the Forwarders were updated to 6.4), it stopped working with the error:

Script for lookup table 'browscap_lookup_express' returned error code 1. Results may be incorrect. 

I re-installed the app many times (and also deleted the browscap_lite.csv from the var/run/splunk directory) without success

--

File (Fields) + Browser example that was retrieved

"GJK_Browscap_Version","GJK_Browscap_Version"
"6001","Tue, 07 Apr 2015 07:57:27 +0000"
"PropertyName","MasterParent","LiteMode","Parent","Comment","Browser","Browser_Type","Browser_Bits","Browser_M
aker","Browser_Modus","Version","MajorVer","MinorVer","Platform","Platform_Version","Platform_Description","Pl
atform_Bits","Platform_Maker","Alpha","Beta","Win16","Win32","Win64","Frames","IFrames","Tables","Cookies","Ba
ckgroundSounds","JavaScript","VBScript","JavaApplets","ActiveXControls","isMobileDevice","isTablet","isSyndica
tionReader","Crawler","CssVersion","AolVersion","Device_Name","Device_Maker","Device_Type","Device_Pointing_Me
thod","Device_Code_Name","Device_Brand_Name","RenderingEngine_Name","RenderingEngine_Version","RenderingEngine
_Description","RenderingEngine_Maker"
"DefaultProperties","true","true","","DefaultProperties","DefaultProperties","","0","","","0.0","0","0","","",
"","0","","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","fal
se","false","false","false","false","false","0","0","","","","","","","","","",""

"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; *Windows NT 6.1*WOW64*Trident/7.0*","false","false","IE 11.0 for Desktop",
"IE 11.0 in IE 7.0 Compatibility Mode","IE","Browser","32","Microsoft Corporation","IE 7.0 Compatibility Mode"
,"11.0","11","0","Win7","6.1","Windows 7","64","Microsoft Corporation","false","false","false","false","true",
"true","true","true","true","true","true","true","true","true","false","false","false","false","false","false"
,"false","3","0","Windows Desktop","Various","Desktop","mouse","Windows Desktop","","Trident","7.0","For Inter
net Explorer since version 4.0 and embedded WebBrowser controls (such as Internet Explorer shells, Maxthon and
 some media players).","Microsoft Corporation"

--

Any ideas what went and/or could be wrong?

0 Karma
1 Solution

jschwanz
Engager

The TA-browscap_express app ships with browscap file format 6001. Somewhere between v6001 and v6014 they added three columns, and that breaks the way TA-browscap_express deals with the cache. I've already submitted a pull request to the Github repo for this change. To update your existing environment follow these steps:

1. Update your lookup definition with these new values: a. Command = browscap_lookup.py http_user_agent ua_propertyname ua_masterparent ua_litemode ua_parent ua_comment ua_browser ua_browser_type ua_browser_bits ua_browser_maker ua_browser_modus ua_version ua_majorver ua_minorver ua_platform ua_platform_version ua_platform_description ua_platform_bits ua_platform_maker ua_alpha ua_beta ua_win16 ua_win32 ua_win64 ua_frames ua_iframes ua_tables ua_cookies ua_backgroundsounds ua_javascript ua_vbscript ua_javaapplets ua_activexcontrols ua_ismobiledevice ua_istablet ua_issyndicationreader ua_crawler ua_isfake ua_isanonymized ua_ismodified ua_cssversion ua_aolversion ua_device_name ua_device_maker ua_device_type ua_device_pointing_method ua_device_code_name ua_device_brand_name ua_renderingengine_name ua_renderingengine_version ua_renderingengine_description ua_renderingengine_maker,ua_fromcache b. Supported fields = http_user_agent,ua_propertyname,ua_masterparent,ua_litemode,ua_parent,ua_comment,ua_browser,ua_browser_type,ua_browser_bits,ua_browser_maker,ua_browser_modus,ua_version,ua_majorver,ua_minorver,ua_platform,ua_platform_version,ua_platform_description,ua_platform_bits,ua_platform_maker,ua_alpha,ua_beta,ua_win16,ua_win32,ua_win64,ua_frames,ua_iframes,ua_tables,ua_cookies,ua_backgroundsounds,ua_javascript,ua_vbscript,ua_javaapplets,ua_activexcontrols,ua_ismobiledevice,ua_istablet,ua_issyndicationreader,ua_crawler,ua_isfake,ua_isanonymized,ua_ismodified,ua_cssversion,ua_aolversion,ua_device_name,ua_device_maker,ua_device_type,ua_device_pointing_method,ua_device_code_name,ua_device_brand_name,ua_renderingengine_name,ua_renderingengine_version,ua_renderingengine_description,ua_renderingengine_maker,ua_fromcache
  2. Delete your browscap_lite.csv
  3. Update browscap_list.csv.example for lines 2-4: "6014","Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:16:00 +0000" "PropertyName","MasterParent","LiteMode","Parent","Comment","Browser","Browser_Type","Browser_Bits","Browser_Maker","Browser_Modus","Version","MajorVer","MinorVer","Platform","Platform_Version","Platform_Description","Platform_Bits","Platform_Maker","Alpha","Beta","Win16","Win32","Win64","Frames","IFrames","Tables","Cookies","BackgroundSounds","JavaScript","VBScript","JavaApplets","ActiveXControls","isMobileDevice","isTablet","isSyndicationReader","Crawler","isFake","isAnonymized","isModified","CssVersion","AolVersion","Device_Name","Device_Maker","Device_Type","Device_Pointing_Method","Device_Code_Name","Device_Brand_Name","RenderingEngine_Name","RenderingEngine_Version","RenderingEngine_Description","RenderingEngine_Maker" "DefaultProperties","true","true","","DefaultProperties","DefaultProperties","","0","","","0.0","0","0","","","","0","","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","0","0","","","","","","","","","",""
  4. (optional) Update default/transform.conf with the new values from step 1

View solution in original post

jschwanz
Engager

The TA-browscap_express app ships with browscap file format 6001. Somewhere between v6001 and v6014 they added three columns, and that breaks the way TA-browscap_express deals with the cache. I've already submitted a pull request to the Github repo for this change. To update your existing environment follow these steps:

1. Update your lookup definition with these new values: a. Command = browscap_lookup.py http_user_agent ua_propertyname ua_masterparent ua_litemode ua_parent ua_comment ua_browser ua_browser_type ua_browser_bits ua_browser_maker ua_browser_modus ua_version ua_majorver ua_minorver ua_platform ua_platform_version ua_platform_description ua_platform_bits ua_platform_maker ua_alpha ua_beta ua_win16 ua_win32 ua_win64 ua_frames ua_iframes ua_tables ua_cookies ua_backgroundsounds ua_javascript ua_vbscript ua_javaapplets ua_activexcontrols ua_ismobiledevice ua_istablet ua_issyndicationreader ua_crawler ua_isfake ua_isanonymized ua_ismodified ua_cssversion ua_aolversion ua_device_name ua_device_maker ua_device_type ua_device_pointing_method ua_device_code_name ua_device_brand_name ua_renderingengine_name ua_renderingengine_version ua_renderingengine_description ua_renderingengine_maker,ua_fromcache b. Supported fields = http_user_agent,ua_propertyname,ua_masterparent,ua_litemode,ua_parent,ua_comment,ua_browser,ua_browser_type,ua_browser_bits,ua_browser_maker,ua_browser_modus,ua_version,ua_majorver,ua_minorver,ua_platform,ua_platform_version,ua_platform_description,ua_platform_bits,ua_platform_maker,ua_alpha,ua_beta,ua_win16,ua_win32,ua_win64,ua_frames,ua_iframes,ua_tables,ua_cookies,ua_backgroundsounds,ua_javascript,ua_vbscript,ua_javaapplets,ua_activexcontrols,ua_ismobiledevice,ua_istablet,ua_issyndicationreader,ua_crawler,ua_isfake,ua_isanonymized,ua_ismodified,ua_cssversion,ua_aolversion,ua_device_name,ua_device_maker,ua_device_type,ua_device_pointing_method,ua_device_code_name,ua_device_brand_name,ua_renderingengine_name,ua_renderingengine_version,ua_renderingengine_description,ua_renderingengine_maker,ua_fromcache
  2. Delete your browscap_lite.csv
  3. Update browscap_list.csv.example for lines 2-4: "6014","Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:16:00 +0000" "PropertyName","MasterParent","LiteMode","Parent","Comment","Browser","Browser_Type","Browser_Bits","Browser_Maker","Browser_Modus","Version","MajorVer","MinorVer","Platform","Platform_Version","Platform_Description","Platform_Bits","Platform_Maker","Alpha","Beta","Win16","Win32","Win64","Frames","IFrames","Tables","Cookies","BackgroundSounds","JavaScript","VBScript","JavaApplets","ActiveXControls","isMobileDevice","isTablet","isSyndicationReader","Crawler","isFake","isAnonymized","isModified","CssVersion","AolVersion","Device_Name","Device_Maker","Device_Type","Device_Pointing_Method","Device_Code_Name","Device_Brand_Name","RenderingEngine_Name","RenderingEngine_Version","RenderingEngine_Description","RenderingEngine_Maker" "DefaultProperties","true","true","","DefaultProperties","DefaultProperties","","0","","","0.0","0","0","","","","0","","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","false","0","0","","","","","","","","","",""
  4. (optional) Update default/transform.conf with the new values from step 1

ontkanin
Path Finder

Thank you @jschwanz, this is exactly what has fixed my problem as well.

0 Karma

edwinmae
Path Finder

Awesome

Works like a charm.
Thanks!

Great App

0 Karma

jschwanz
Engager

I started getting this when I updated the browscap.csv file today. Even after reverting to a previous file I'm still getting this error.

Edit: There are three new fields in the browscap.csv. I'm verifying some changes and will update with my results and any necessary changes.

0 Karma

edwinmae
Path Finder

It seems when I remove the 'cache file' from /opt/splunk/var/run/splunk, the first search is OK

ua_activexcontrols
false

ua_alpha
false

ua_aolversion

ua_backgroundsounds
false

ua_beta
false

ua_browser
Chrome

ua_browser_bits

ua_browser_maker
Google Inc

ua_browser_type
Browser

ua_comment
Chrome 50.0

ua_cookies
true

ua_crawler
false

ua_cssversion

ua_device_code_name
Windows Desktop

ua_device_maker
Various

ua_device_name
Windows Desktop

ua_device_pointing_method
mouse

ua_device_type
Desktop

ua_frames
true

ua_fromcache
false

ua_iframes
true

ua_ismobiledevice
false

ua_issyndicationreader
false

ua_istablet
false

ua_javaapplets
false

ua_javascript
true

ua_litemode
false

ua_majorver

ua_masterparent
false

ua_minorver

ua_parent
Chrome 50.0

ua_platform
Win10

ua_platform_bits

ua_platform_description
Windows 10

ua_platform_maker
Microsoft Corporation

ua_platform_version

ua_propertyname
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0*WOW64) AppleWebKit/* (KHTML* like Gecko) Chrome/50.Safari/

ua_renderingengine_description
a WebKit Fork by Google

ua_renderingengine_maker
Google Inc

ua_renderingengine_name
Blink

ua_tables
true

ua_vbscript
false

ua_version

ua_win16
false

ua_win32
false

ua_win64
true

second search states "Script for lookup table 'browscap_lookup_express' returned error code 1. Results may be incorrect" - Game Over

0 Karma

edwinmae
Path Finder

More info : I have zero ua_fields

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...