All Apps and Add-ons

splunk_app_db_connect

Spranta
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi all,

we are trying to upgrade our splunk_app_db_connect from version 2.3.1 to version 3.1.1, but we are failing to migrate the data with the following error message:
splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/app_migration.py -verbose
checking db_connection_types.conf for app splunk_app_db_connect ...
checking inputs.conf for app splunk_app_db_connect ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/app_migration.py", line 971, in
check_inputs_conf_mi_input(service_with_ns, service)
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/app_migration.py", line 603, in check_inputs_conf_mi_input
mode = an_input['mode']
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg/splunklib/client.py", line 920, in getitem
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_db_connect/bin/splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg/splunklib/client.py", line 915, in getattr
AttributeError: mode

Has anyone an idea why?

Thanks
Alex

0 Karma

dvergnes_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The problem is caused by an input without the attribute mode defined. This attribute is required, without it the input definition is invalid. Therefore, the migration cannot operate on it. You must either define the mode for this input (batch, rising, advanced) or remove it completely before running the migration.

0 Karma

afamoyib
Path Finder

I had an issue when i upgraded dbconnect. My configurations were pretty much wiped out. I had to basically restore my configs, inputs.conf from the back up and restart dbconnect. Functionality worked like a charm after that.

0 Karma

DennisFFM
Explorer

Hi @somesoni2, are you following this migration instructions?
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.1/DeployDBX/MigratefromDBConnectv1

Please note this on the page:
"Since the deployment scenarios vary among different users, the script may fail to migrate your configurations. Therefore, you may require to redefine your configurations after DB Connect 3 installation."

Maybe you have to upgrade without prior migration and make changes manually afterwards.
I did it too, once and it worked fine. 🙂

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Yeah I second this - the migration script is super flaky. If you don't have too many connections just do a fresh install of dbx3 and and add the configs manually

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...