All Apps and Add-ons

ldapsearch via API

bgagliardi1
Path Finder

I'm using a REST API broker platform and it's running Splunk searches. All of my searches I've ran come out the exact same way they do in the Splunk UI, except when I try to run an ldapsearch.

Command being sent:

| ldapsearch search="(&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=user)
(proxyAddresses=smtp:person@domain.com))"
| search userPrincipalName
| table fieldICareabout | rex mode=sed field=fieldICareAbout "s/(.*\/)//"

I recognize that this command has to be the first command, so how do I send a command like this via API if "search" is appended to every search?

I get the FATAL error

{
type: FATAL,
message: Error in 'ldapsearch' command: This command must be the first command of a search.
}

0 Karma

tiagofbmm
Influencer

Hi

So to test your error, I just tried to curl something that would throw a FATAL, but it should raise that

1 - curl -u admin:**** -k https://localhost:8094/services/search/jobs -d search="| ldapsearch "

Then get the job id and grab the results

2 - curl -u admin:****-k https://localhost:8094/services/search/jobs/1520586227.6682/results/ --get -d output_mode=csv

<messages>
    <msg type="FATAL">Error in 'ldapsearch' command: command="ldapsearch", A value for "search" is required</msg>
  </messages>

So my point here is what you are passing to the REST endpoint services/search/jobs is probably not well formatted.

Can you try that command the way I did passing it in the command line, so we can debug that option out?

0 Karma

livehybrid
Builder

Can you post the code that you're using to submit the API request? You should be fine if you start the query with | (no space before it).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...