All Apps and Add-ons

ldapsearch not returning list of all AD groups and users

gaurav_maniar
Builder

I'm trying to create a lookup of the domain, ad group and user using ldapsearch command from Active Direcotyr Add-on.

The below query is schduled as report and generates the lookup. If I manually verify the the data, some groups and all users from that groups are missing in the lookup.
| ldapsearch domain="test_domain" search="(&(objectClass=group))" attrs="sAMAccountName,member,groupType,sAMAccountType"
| search groupType=SECURITY_ENABLED
| spath
| rename sAMAccountName as sAMAccountName1
| mvexpand memebr
| ldapfetch domain="test_domain" dn="member" attrs="sAMAccountName,distinguishedName"

If I include the group names in the query, it generates the required lookup for the specified groups only.
| ldapsearch domain="test_domain" search="(&(objectClass=group)(|(cn=grp_prefix1*)(cn=grp_prefix2*))" attrs="sAMAccountName,member,groupType,sAMAccountType"
| spath
| mvexpand memebr
| ldapfetch domain="test_domain" dn="member" attrs="sAMAccountName,distinguishedName"

I'm not able to figure out, why the first query not returning the results for particular groups.
I also checked that, ignore/skipped groups is not due some outputlookup limit or alphabetical order.

Is there any limit on ldapfetch command for returning results?

Let me know if any other details are required.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| ldapsearch domain="test_domain" search="(&(objectClass=group)(|(cn=grp_prefix1*)(cn=grp_prefix2*)))" atrs="sAMAccountName,member,groupType,sAMAccountType" 
| spath 
| mvexpand memebr 

Hi, One parenthesis was missing.

0 Karma

gaurav_maniar
Builder

sorry, it was a typing mistake.

As I mentioned in the question, both queries are working fine.
The problem is the first query is supposed to return all groups, but due to some reasons, some groups are missing in the result.
When I execute the second query explicitly for those groups it is returning the results for these groups.
So why they are getting skipped in first query.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

Does it mean that there is a user who is not objectClass = group but cn = grp_prefix1* or cn = grp_prefix2*?

0 Karma

gaurav_maniar
Builder

Mr. @woodcock , can you help with this one?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...