All Apps and Add-ons

is it possible to use file monitoring on external server that doesnt have splunk or forwarder?

splunkt0n

Hi All,

Would like to ask if it is possible to monitor files outside the server without using a forwarder. Thank you in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I presume you mean without using a forwarder "on that" system?

Two approaches immediately spring to mind:
1.) Map/Mount the remote filesystem onto a suitable host which is running the forwarder
2.) Script or otherwise schedule log shipping from your target server to your forwarder and process them as if they were local logs.

In both cases you can override the hostname so that the logs get attributed to the correct server

There are pros and cons to each, but will depend on your use case.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

splunkt0n

Hi nickhillscpl,

how about if the servers are in two different networks?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I presume you mean without using a forwarder "on that" system?

Two approaches immediately spring to mind:
1.) Map/Mount the remote filesystem onto a suitable host which is running the forwarder
2.) Script or otherwise schedule log shipping from your target server to your forwarder and process them as if they were local logs.

In both cases you can override the hostname so that the logs get attributed to the correct server

There are pros and cons to each, but will depend on your use case.

0 Karma

splunkt0n

thank you for that answer nickhillscpl. how about if the servers are in different network? what we're trying to achieve is that we monitor the logs on a specific server on a different network without installing a forwarder.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

what access do you have to these servers? are they windows or linux?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...