All Apps and Add-ons

how to find sum of the latest values of the fields by a certain field ?

pgadhari
Builder

I have 2 sourcetypes from Nexpose vulnerability data. One sourcetype is Asset details and other sourcetype is Vulnerability details. Both this sourcetype has common field called "asset_id". Field details are below :

sourcetype Asset contains fields ==> asset_id, vulnerabilities, riskscore, malware_kits,exploits
sourcetype Vul contain fields ==> asset_id, Solution_summary

I want to show "No. of Assets", Vulnerabilities,Riskscore,malware_kits,exploits by solution_summary, so in this case I have to join 2 sourcetypes and do the sum of the fields in sourcetype Asset. But, those fields have different values, so I want to do the sum of the latest values of the fields in vulnerabilities, riskscore, malware_kits and exploits, but somehow it is not working. Also, currently I am using coalesce for asset_id field to merge both the sourcetypes, is it the proper way of doing it ? Please help in writing the search ?

Below is my current search which is adding all the values of the fields, instead of latest value of the field ?

index=rapid7 sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:vuln" OR sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:asset" | eval Asset=coalesce(asset_id,asset_id) | stats values(*) as * by Asset | stats dc(asset_id) as Assets, sum(vulnerabilities) as Vulnerabilities, sum(exploits) as Exploits, sum(malware_kits) as "Malware Kits"  sum(riskscore) as Risk by solution_summary | sort - Risk | eval Risk=round(Risk,2) |rename solution_summary as Remediation

But in above query sum(vulnerabilities) is adding all vulnerabilities values which I dont want, I want to consider only the latest value of vulnerability number I am getting in that field when I search for last 30 days or any other time range, same with exploits, malware_kits and riskscore ? Please help resolve the issue ?

Thanks
PG

0 Karma
1 Solution

dmarling
Builder

Your stats that joins the data together by Asset is producing the values of every field, which makes it difficult to obtain the latest value since that combines everything into a single line. If you adjust that stats to be a bit more judicious on what data is pulled you should be able to get the latest information you wanted.

index=rapid7 sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:vuln" OR sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:asset" 
| eval Asset=coalesce(asset_id,asset_id) 
| stats values(asset_id) as asset_id latest(vulnerabilities) as vulnerabilities latest(exploits) as exploits latest(malware_kits) as malware_kits latest(riskscore) as riskscore values(solution_summary) as solution_summary by Asset 
| stats dc(asset_id) as Assets, sum(vulnerabilities) as Vulnerabilities, sum(exploits) as Exploits, sum(malware_kits) as "Malware Kits" sum(riskscore) as Risk by solution_summary 
| sort - Risk 
| eval Risk=round(Risk,2) 
| rename solution_summary as Remediation
If this comment/answer was helpful, please up vote it. Thank you.

View solution in original post

dmarling
Builder

Your stats that joins the data together by Asset is producing the values of every field, which makes it difficult to obtain the latest value since that combines everything into a single line. If you adjust that stats to be a bit more judicious on what data is pulled you should be able to get the latest information you wanted.

index=rapid7 sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:vuln" OR sourcetype="rapid7:nexpose:asset" 
| eval Asset=coalesce(asset_id,asset_id) 
| stats values(asset_id) as asset_id latest(vulnerabilities) as vulnerabilities latest(exploits) as exploits latest(malware_kits) as malware_kits latest(riskscore) as riskscore values(solution_summary) as solution_summary by Asset 
| stats dc(asset_id) as Assets, sum(vulnerabilities) as Vulnerabilities, sum(exploits) as Exploits, sum(malware_kits) as "Malware Kits" sum(riskscore) as Risk by solution_summary 
| sort - Risk 
| eval Risk=round(Risk,2) 
| rename solution_summary as Remediation

pgadhari
Builder

Sure. I will check this and revert.

0 Karma

dmarling
Builder

@pgadhari , Did this work for you? If so, please accept the answer. If not, let me know what the problem is. Thank you!

0 Karma

pgadhari
Builder

Yes it is working for me. But I am still waiting for some validations to be complete. But so far, the query works. Thanks.

0 Karma

pgadhari
Builder

Sure. I will check this and revert tomorrow pls. Thanks for your support.

0 Karma

pgadhari
Builder

can anyone reply on this please ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...