All Apps and Add-ons

how to configure websphere JMX metrics in splunkWAS app of splunk

gnarendra

hi,

i installed splunk where websphere application server is installed and i deployed splunkWAS app in splunk and i followed and configured jmx metrics setting given in the link

http://splunkbase.splunk.com/apps/All/4.x/App/app:Splunk+for+WebSphere+Application+Server

But i not found any results in performance dashboards, my websphere application server 6.1 having multiple profiles.

In the splunkWAS app configure page i given the

1 Path of server profile (required): /webapp/WebSphere/AppServer

2 Server Admin credentials (required for JMX metrics): i given username and password in soap.client.properties for different profiles.

3 JMX Metrics Inputs: enabled

4 by default PMI is enable in Webspher application server admin console.

but i did not found any results in performance dashboard in websphere application server app in splunk.

plz can any one tell me where i am doing wrong.

plz provide any other configurations i need to enable for getting the results in performance dashboards or provide any document useful for me.

Note: I noticed that CPU utilization is increasing when i am using splunkWAS app in splunk

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ACCEnvTeam

Hopefully this will help. We are using WAS v7, but with the splunk_forwarder_addon_was app. The instructions for installation are partly incorrect.

In /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/splunk_forwarder_addon_was/bin you need SplunkWAS7.jar (which I got from the SplunkWAS app as it wasn't included in the splunk_forwarder_addon_was).

You also need a subdirectory called SplunkWAS7_lib containing com.ibm.jaxws.thinclient_7.0.0.jar and com.ibm.ws.admin.client_7.0.0.jar which can be pulled from the WAS installation.

In /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/splunk_forwarder_addon_was/local the most important file that was completely wrong in the instructions was was_dmgr.conf. The error I kept getting was "Can't load cell information from was_dmgr.conf" so I decompiled the WAStest.class from in the SplunkWAS7.jar to check what it was looking for. It uses these fields:

[cell1]
port=8879 
ip=<dmgr_ip>    
username=<dmgr_user>    
password=<dmgr_passwd>    
truststore_path=../local/wastest.jks    
truststore_password=WebAS    
pmi_level=set1 
was_jar_version=7    
was_node_whitelist=    
was_node_blacklist=
0 Karma

bwang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First check to see whether you have a wsadmincommands.conf in SplunkWAS/local/ directory. If you do, copy and paste the line command (replace the password with your real password) in wsadmincommands.conf, and run it in the shell to see if it can return any result. If you can see the log, then try to do it without the password. Please post back if the screen return any error message .

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...