All Apps and Add-ons

how execute command at backend from a externally added button in the Inputs tab of a AddOn

sawgata12345
Path Finder

Hi,
I have created a Addon using the AddonBuilder in splunk.
it has three tabs Inputs|Configuration|Search
In the inputs tab a button appears "Create New Input". I want to add one more button just beside it and on click of the event i want to stop a python script.
While creating the Addon in the "Configure Data Collection " section I choose "Modular Inputs as Shell commands". there in the "Data Inputs Definition" tab i given
/home//testmain.sh
inside the .sh file:
/home//application/app1/test.py & (this starts it as daemon. the test.py has internal loop which keeps waiting for input, once it receives input it formats data and send to splunk at a specific index)

This .sh file is starting a python script in background which keeps on running.
In the Addon we have enable/disable option to prevent Splunk executing testmain.sh after every interval(mandatory to provide), but I want to kill python process by adding a button beside the "Create New Input". on click of the button it should stop the python script.
I can however again enable the python script from the Addon UI enable/disable option of the Actions.
How do I add the button and send an event so in backend it kills the python file.

0 Karma

chli_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Currently it's not possible since AoB is leveraging another component to render data input configuration UI.

0 Karma

sawgata12345
Path Finder

ok, cant we send any rest call or edit the " another component" to add one more line same as for "Create New Input". This "another component " will also be present inside the addon folder created as "TA-sampleapp" or those components are defined in some other location?

Is it possible to create a App instead of Addon and do the above?
I created a "SampleApp", in backend it also created similar folder "TA-sampleapp". Is it possible to add one button for start and one button for stop?
I changed the config files in the default and local folders but nothing is changing on the UI.

0 Karma

chli_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The data input configuration UI framework has both frontend components and backend rest endpoints. It's not easy to figure out a quick solution by "hacking" existing framework, otherwise it's more like a feature request.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...