All Apps and Add-ons

how do I filter-out 'return' traffic in AWS VPC FlowLogs?

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

I am trying to build a report for AWS FlowLogs which can be used to analyze SG usage. Specifically, I want a list of incoming traffic (by 'dest_ip') which shows all IP/port combinations. Unfortunately, a simple 'stats count by dest_ip,dest_port,protocol,src_ip,src_port' does not result in a usable report -- because all the stateful return-traffic is listed, too. There are 10K's worth of incoming packets with dest_port in the 1024-65535 range, i.e., where that particular 'dest' server had initiated a connection using an ephemeral local port and then the return traffic went to the same port. So 99% of the 'incoming' ports are not actual listeners which we need to include in our SGs.

I have spent hours testing various combinations of filters, e.g. count<5, or dest_port>18000 or (dest_port>1024 AND src_port<1024) or even a 'where NOT IN(src_port,22,53,80,3389, etc)'. But we have a lot of services which use high-port numbers so all these methods accidentally remove valid traffic.

Instead, I think the only accurate method would be one where each connection is evaluated for:
- is the incoming 'dest_port' above 1024?
- if so, is there a corresponding packet in the preceding 1000 ms, i.e., identical-but-reversed dest and src IP/ports?
- if so, assume this later packet is the return from a stateful request sent on an ephemeral port -- remove it from the results!

Has anyone else run into this situation, and what was your solution? Thank you for any suggestions!

0 Karma
1 Solution

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

For the moment, this is the approach I am taking:

• I created an unfiltered report of 'stats count by dest_ip,dest_port,protocol,src_ip'
  • I temporarily sorted this report by ‘top limit=100 dest_port’
  • One at a time, I added the most common ‘dest_ports’ to a filter on src_port, i.e., I removed what I knew to be return-traffic from those servers. This looked like 'where NOT IN(src_port,22,53,80)'
  • I also learned the hard-way that I had to refresh the report and double-check that the port I’d just added didn’t disappear from the results, e.g. when I removed port 0 (ICMP) it disappeared because it is a service which does not use ephemeral ports
  • Finally, once I felt I had a good list, I added a catch-all filter for ‘dest_port<16000’ because the highest valid port I’d found was 15672.

This process allowed me to identify 25 incoming ports. I don't know if this is all of them but ignoring the return-traffic from those 'src_ports' reduced the list of src/dest combinations from 300K to 10K

View solution in original post

0 Karma

NetFlow_Logic
Contributor

You can create another field - application port - (app_port) - which has a value lower than random client port - as follows:

| eval app_port=if(((src_port<dest_port AND src_port!=0) OR dest_port==0),src_port,dest_port)

then use app_port in your stats and/or WHERE,

0 Karma

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

Unfortunately, we have app-ports all the way into the 50,000 port-range, and the ephemeral ports start at 1024. So 'src_port

0 Karma

NetFlow_Logic
Contributor

In our product, NetFlow Optimizer, there is a rule/module that stitches request/reply flows. It is based on a list of known application ports (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers), but the list is configurable (you can upload your own list into the rule). Please contact us directly if have any questions or would like to try it - trials@netflowlogic.com

0 Karma

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

For the moment, this is the approach I am taking:

• I created an unfiltered report of 'stats count by dest_ip,dest_port,protocol,src_ip'
  • I temporarily sorted this report by ‘top limit=100 dest_port’
  • One at a time, I added the most common ‘dest_ports’ to a filter on src_port, i.e., I removed what I knew to be return-traffic from those servers. This looked like 'where NOT IN(src_port,22,53,80)'
  • I also learned the hard-way that I had to refresh the report and double-check that the port I’d just added didn’t disappear from the results, e.g. when I removed port 0 (ICMP) it disappeared because it is a service which does not use ephemeral ports
  • Finally, once I felt I had a good list, I added a catch-all filter for ‘dest_port<16000’ because the highest valid port I’d found was 15672.

This process allowed me to identify 25 incoming ports. I don't know if this is all of them but ignoring the return-traffic from those 'src_ports' reduced the list of src/dest combinations from 300K to 10K

0 Karma

ttovarzoll
Path Finder

I would like to have also filtered on 'WHERE src_port>1024' since that's always true for ephemeral ports, but I didn't know how to combine the 2 filters in 1 WHERE -- when I tried it I got unexpected results.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...