All Apps and Add-ons

heavy forwarder does not forward data from db connect

gesa_behrens
Path Finder

Hello,

I have set up a heavy forwarder with DBX. The connection to my sample database (mySQL) works, but the data is not forwarded to my indexer.
I tested the connection by forwarding the syslog from the machine to my indexer, this worked fine.
I read SPLUNK answers up and down but cannot find the solution to my problem.
According to other answers, it should be enough to have setup outputs.conf correctly, which I think I proved by forwarding syslog.
I searched metrics.log to find any hint of forwarding my data, but did not find any (searched for "test" which is the index the data should be stored in)
db_inputs.conf:
[all_testtable]
batch_upload_size = 1000
connection = testconnect
disabled = 0
fetch_size = 300
index = test
index_time_mode = current
interval = 1200
max_rows = 0
max_single_checkpoint_file_size = 10485760
mode = rising
query = SELECT * FROM testbase.testtable where ID > ? order by ID
query_timeout = 30
sourcetype = Standard
tail_rising_column_number = 1

Splunk version (both forwarder and indexer) is 7.1.2
DB Connect Version is 3.1.3

Any help appreciated

0 Karma
1 Solution

gesa_behrens
Path Finder

I called support and got an older version (2.4.1) this works perfectly so far.
I hope DBX will notice that there seems to be a problem forwarding via HEC and fix it soon.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gesa_behrens
Path Finder

I called support and got an older version (2.4.1) this works perfectly so far.
I hope DBX will notice that there seems to be a problem forwarding via HEC and fix it soon.

0 Karma

gesa_behrens
Path Finder

Thanks,
it did not lead me to a solution but it eventually brought me to this piece of documentation : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.1.3/DeployDBX/Troubleshooting#Debug_HTTP_Event_Collector_....
It seems here is the problem because I also found :
java.io.IOException: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request in /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunk_app_db_connect_server.log

But here I ran into the next dead end: I read about setting up HEC tokens, but I could not find how to tell the forwarder to use this token (or the other way around, I set up tokens on both sides, but of course they are different)

0 Karma

CarsonZa
Contributor

check your cron schedule maybe?

also I would be looking in the db connect logs not the metric logs. Start here $SPLUNK_HOME\var\log\splunk_app_db_connect_audit_command.date.log

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...