All Apps and Add-ons

fail to restart Splunk after installing DB collector

leujinlove
Explorer

I tried to install DB connector in splunk.
However, it failed to restart splunk after installing it.
Messages are as below.

[root@localhost ~]# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk start

Splunk> Needle. Haystack. Found.

Checking prerequisites...
Checking http port [8000]: open
Checking mgmt port [8089]: open
Checking configuration... Done.
Checking critical directories... Done
Checking indexes...
Validated: _audit _blocksignature _internal _introspection _thefishbucket history main summary
Done
Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf for parsing: Permission denied
Cannot create username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini: Permission denied
Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini for parsing: Permission denied
Error opening username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini
Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/system/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
New certs have been generated in '/opt/splunk/etc/auth'.
ERROR - Error opening "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd-utility.log": Permission denied
ERROR - Error opening "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd-utility.log": Permission denied

Your active group is invalid. Please login as an administrator and correct issue.

ERROR IniFile - Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf for parsing: Permission denied
ERROR UsernameMapper - Cannot create username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini: Permission denied
ERROR IniFile - Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini for parsing: Permission denied
ERROR UsernameMapper - Error opening username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/launcher/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/system/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/learned/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR IniFile - Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/server.conf for parsing: Permission denied
ERROR UsernameMapper - Cannot create username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini: Permission denied
ERROR IniFile - Cannot open file=/opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini for parsing: Permission denied
ERROR UsernameMapper - Error opening username mapping file: /opt/splunk/etc/users/users.ini
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/launcher/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/search/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/system/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
ERROR ConfObjectManagerDB - Cannot initialize: /opt/splunk/etc/apps/learned/metadata/local.meta: Permission denied
The SPLUNK_DB environment variable was defined but the test file ("/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/test.K9Tv5A") could not be created by the current user: Permission denied
Locking test failed on filesystem in path /opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk with code '7'. Please file a case online at http://www.splunk.com/page/submit_issue

Checking filesystem compatibility...

I'd like to ask the reason and how to solve the problem.

0 Karma
1 Solution

vincenteous
Communicator

Hi leujinlove,

Have you tried to use "chown" command on your splunk folder? I've encountered one like this before and the root cause was there's no clear owner of splunk folder and files underneath it. I might be wrong, though.

chown -R <user_to_start_splunk>:<group_name> /opt/splunk

Best Regards,

Vincent

View solution in original post

0 Karma

vincenteous
Communicator

Hi leujinlove,

Have you tried to use "chown" command on your splunk folder? I've encountered one like this before and the root cause was there's no clear owner of splunk folder and files underneath it. I might be wrong, though.

chown -R <user_to_start_splunk>:<group_name> /opt/splunk

Best Regards,

Vincent

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...