All Apps and Add-ons

extracting special characters using reg

royimad
Builder

I have a log file as the following

Event1: datetime1 any data xyz [macaddress]{2020-23233-23232-21123} any data { abc }
Event2: datetime2 any data abc [macaddress]{02:00:00:00:00} any data { [ hello ] }

In the middle of each event i have a macaddress name between [ ] and the macaddress value between {}
what is the regular expression that let me extract the macaddress value?

i'm trying this but it's not working search | rex "[macaddress]{(?)}"

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi royimad,

try something like this:

your base search here | rex "\[(?<myadd>\w+)\]\{(?<myMAC>([\w\d]+[:-])+[\w\d]+)\}" | tabel myadd myMAC

and to match only the IEEE 802 standard you should use this regex

your base search here | rex "\[(?<myadd>\w+)\]\{(?<myMAC>([\w\d]+[:-]){5}[\w\d]+)\}" | tabel myadd myMAC

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi royimad,

try something like this:

your base search here | rex "\[(?<myadd>\w+)\]\{(?<myMAC>([\w\d]+[:-])+[\w\d]+)\}" | tabel myadd myMAC

and to match only the IEEE 802 standard you should use this regex

your base search here | rex "\[(?<myadd>\w+)\]\{(?<myMAC>([\w\d]+[:-]){5}[\w\d]+)\}" | tabel myadd myMAC

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

MuS
Legend

Maybe you should have a look at my App http://apps.splunk.com/app/1249 😉
to your question, this could be done using a lookup

0 Karma

royimad
Builder

If i know exactly that myadd is equal to macaddress in all the case but not a random word how can i simplified this ?

0 Karma

royimad
Builder

Perfect thank you.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi dude,

well this is based on your provided information 😉 try this

\[(?<myadd>\w+)\]\{(?<myMAC>([\w\d]+[:-])+[\w\d]+)\}

which works perfect in all of those different online regex testers

0 Karma

royimad
Builder

Hello dude,

There are 2 different type of mac address either separated by : or either separated by - and not necessary contains digital letter a mac address could contain any characters other then special ( Your query is working for the mac address separated by : )

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...