All Apps and Add-ons

dbmon-tail stanza has stopped processing data and seems frozen in dbx app

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am querying a Websense database (MSSQL) with 5 DB inputs. 1 Tail and 4 Dump. The 4 Dump inputs work just fine. The Tail input seems to freeze and sometimes crash Splunk. This is the query we are using (running every 60s) for the tail input:

SELECT top 100000 date_time,port,protocol_id,bytes_sent,bytes_received,duration,category,url,full_url,user_id,hits,source_server_ip_int,source_ip_int,destination_ip_int,record_number from incoming {{WHERE $rising_column$ > ?}} ORDER by record_number

The number of records we are requesting is high because the database produces a high volume of events per min. I tried to lower this number to 20000, but after some time (and a large time lag in data) the inputs stopped coming in. I try to run a DB query through the dbx app and no results return, the search just runs and runs never producing a result. I also tried to look at the "Database Info" but once I select a database, the schema table does not load.
Once we see that the dbx is frozen we stop splunk. Splunkweb usually does not stop successfully so we kill the 2 following processes:

4305 ? Sl 0:08 /usr/java/jre1.7.0_21/bin/java -cp /opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/xstream-1.4.1.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/sqlite-jdbc-3.7.2.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/jtds-1.2.6.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/hsqldb.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/postgresql-9.0-801.jdbc3.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/stringtemplate-3.2.1.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/jdbm-2.2.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/commons-logging-1.0.4.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/commons-pool-1.5.6.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/h2-1.3.162.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/antlr-2.7.7.jar:/opt/splunk/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib/dbx.jar -Xmx256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -server -Duser.language=en -Duser.region= -Dsplunk.app.ctx=dbx com.splunk.bridge.JavaBridgeServer 4303 

21155 ? Sl 2:44 python -O /opt/splunk/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py start 

Has anyone else seen this? Is there a resolution?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First thing to check would be to review the dbx.log and jbridge.log files in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk for any relevant error. You can also enable DEBUG logging by adding the following entries in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dbx/local/java.conf:

[logging]
level = DEBUG

A splunkd restart would be required after the above changes. The DEBUG info will be written in the dbx.log as well.

Otherwise, further troubleshooting of the issue may require gathering java thread dump to be submitted to Splunk Support for further investigation.

FYI: There is also a known bug (DBX-151) reported for DB Connect 1.0.10 with similar symptoms.

View solution in original post

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

First thing to check would be to review the dbx.log and jbridge.log files in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk for any relevant error. You can also enable DEBUG logging by adding the following entries in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/dbx/local/java.conf:

[logging]
level = DEBUG

A splunkd restart would be required after the above changes. The DEBUG info will be written in the dbx.log as well.

Otherwise, further troubleshooting of the issue may require gathering java thread dump to be submitted to Splunk Support for further investigation.

FYI: There is also a known bug (DBX-151) reported for DB Connect 1.0.10 with similar symptoms.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

If the jbridge server is running, but the query won't complete, then kill java while the query is running, start the query again after the 47 error (sometimes you have start it twice) and it will fix the problem until the next restart/reboot.

0 Karma

gregbujak
Path Finder

One thing to note, I was having the same issue running the dbquery search command using 1.0.10. It would freeze and never finalize. No improvement after I upgraded to 1.0.11. However, once I upgraded java from 1.7.0_17 to 1.7.0_25, the problem went away.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...