All Apps and Add-ons

complex search logic with SideView HTML

klee310
Communicator

Hi Nick,

I'm back again with another rather complex dashboard requirement. To simplify things, let me first lay-out the hierarchy for the troublesome section:

<module name="Search"> ...
  <module name="HTML / Table">...
    <module name="Search2">...
      <module name="Table/Chart/etc..">

1) the first Search-module is essentially the populating-search - for 4 single-values, which are to be displayed using the enclosed HTML-module (this part is OK, I have no difficulties displaying the data nor any issues with styling)
2) the second Search-module (here is the issue/problem I can't seem to wrap my head around) - needs to search based on upstream-context, for example, which of the 4 single-values were clicked - something like a drill-down behavior for the HTML-module

Naturally, my initial instinct tells me I need a drill-down behavior; something like what a Table-module has - so initially I have a Table instead of the HTML-module, and some cleaver css-styles to make it look like single-values... however with this direction, I fear I'll hit a wall when defining the second Search-module search string due to the complex downstream variables I need to pass....

Which is why I thought of using an HTML-module instead.

Very comfortable using custom-css and customBehavior - already have my .js and .css files on stand-by; if things need to get as tricky as REST/Python API/custom-command - I'm up for that too; just hoping there might be something I'm overlooking.

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated

(edit: just read this, and it seems I'm not the only person looking for something in this direction; very interested in the solutions provided, especially the one involving customBehavior - in my case however, I am happy to dispatch all 4 searches and use [css] display: show/hide based on the clicked-HTML-div)

(2nd edit: lol... I just stumbled on the SideView Tabs-module - and I think it might just work for what I'm trying to do... a little css-styling and I might be able to make it look just right)

klee310
Communicator

For those wonder what I ended up doing... here it is:

&lt;module name="Search"&gt; ...
  &lt;module name="HTML"&gt; ...
    &lt;module name="Search"&gt; ...
      &lt;module name="Table"&gt;&lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;...&lt;/module&gt;&lt;/module&gt;
    &lt;module name="Search"&gt;...
      &lt;module name="Table"&gt;&lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;...&lt;/module&gt;&lt;/module&gt;

1) the first search-module populates the first html-module - which essentially contains the 4 items to be clicked; inside css, changed the cursor to "pointer" for each of the <div> tags, added a :hover style so that the div looks like a button; and added an 'onclick' attribute to the <div> - that way, when the div is clicked, I can respond to it from js

2) the subsequent 4 blocks of Search/Table modules will dispatch immediately, but are hidden from view using js/css - essentially, onload - adds a css-class (ie. display: none;) to each of the blocks

3) from the function responding to the onclick-event, I just pass in additional arguments so I know which of the blocks to display

I guess it might be a little hard to understand from my vague explanation, so here is some sample code:

in my .js file

Sideview.utils.declareCustomBehavior("qm_customKPIresults", function(htmlModule) {
    var methodReference = htmlModule.onContextChange.bind(htmlModule);
    htmlModule.onContextChange = function() {
        console.log("hello customBehavior [qm_customKPIresults]");
        // hide results-table
        $(".panel_row15_col").css("display", "none");
        $(".customKPItable").addClass("hideResults");
        return methodReference();
  }
});

function customKPIresults_clicked(e, s)
{
    console.log("hello function [customKPIresults_clicked]");
    // make sure the panel is visible
    $(".panel_row15_col").css("display", "block");

// figure out which of the 4 single-values to highlight
    $(".customKPIresults").removeClass("customKPIresults_selected");
    $("." + e.classList[1]).addClass("customKPIresults_selected");

// hide all results-table
    $(".customKPItable").addClass("hideResults");

// show only the result-table for associated clicked-item
    $("." + s).removeClass("hideResults");
}

the css part

.customKPIresults
{
  border-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.3); border-radius: 5px; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
  cursor: pointer; float: left; margin: 0px 10px; padding: 0px 5px;
  width: 150px;
}
.customKPIresults:hover { background: gainsboro; }
.customKPIresults label { font-size: 15px; font-weight: bold; }
.customKPIresults p { font-size: 20px; margin: 5px 0px; text-align: center; }
.customKPIresults_selected { background: yellow; }
.panel_row15_col { min-height: 300px; }
.hideResults { display: none !important; }

sample html for 1 of the 4 click-items:

&lt;div class="customKPIresults kpi_ap_count" onclick="customKPIresults_clicked(this, 'my_css_class1')"&gt;
  &lt;label&gt;my label text&lt;/label&gt;
  &lt;p&gt;$some-result-from-upstream-search$&lt;/p&gt;

1 of the 4 Search/Table result blocks

&lt;module name="Search" layoutPanel="panel_row15_col1"&gt;
  &lt;param name="search"&gt;some SPL here&lt;/param&gt;
  &lt;module name="Table"&gt;
    &lt;param name="cssClass"&gt;customKPItable my_css_class1&lt;/param&gt;
  &lt;/module&gt;
&lt;/module&gt;
&lt;/div&gt;

questions and comments welcome.

0 Karma

klee310
Communicator

sorry for the escaped html tags... can't figure out why I got it to display properly in the question, but its messed up in the answer

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm glad you figured it out before I made it back to answer.

This is a bit of a hard road that you took. Kudos for sure!
As you later figured out for yourself, the Tabs module is a decent alternative here, particularly if you can hit it with the CSS stick a bit.

But another one that you might not have thought of, is to use Link modules instead of your HTML modules, and Gate modules.

Gate is a little terrifying, but it's very powerful. You could have each Link contain a ValueSetter, and then a Gate. The Gate modules act as little teleporters and in spirit they allow a set of drilldown config to have more than one chain of upstream modules.

Specifically, each of the 4 valueSetters would set the same differentiating token to a different value, and each of the 4 Gate's would have &lt;param name="to"&gt;downstreamBlock&lt;/param&gt;. then all the stuff "downstream" from these four link blocks wouldn't actually be downstream at all technically. Rather you'd have a fifth Gate module with &lt;param name="id"&gt;downstreamBlock&lt;/param&gt; at the top level of the hierarchy, but in a dashboard panel lower down on the page. There are examples of this sort of config in Sideview Utils - start with the Gate docs and examples. You might find a hidden testcase view as well to rummage around in.

klee310
Communicator

Thanks Nick for the insights.

I didn't know the Link-module can be used in this way. I am already very familiar with the Gate-module as it was used extensively in one of my previous requirement - not sure if you remember, but you helped me out in that one too..

So what you are saying is, the Link-module can be used to set context; instead of navigating to another page? I always just assumed that was what a "Link" was... I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info

(edit: quick update, I just looked at the doc on my sv instance 3.3.2, and there really isn't much to see, probably because the doc is a little incomplete; a lot of TBD - also its labeled: Prototype module... am I too outdated? maybe I need to update my sv)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...