All Apps and Add-ons

can a custom deployment app remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg?

moredonuts20
Engager

I have ~2 months experience with Splunk so far, so my apologies if this is a dumb question:

Can a custom deployment app remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg?

Additional background:

We have >3,000 deployment clients, and ~600 of them do not have unique Client IDs. To fix this, I found that we need to simply remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg and then restart splunk. Instead of hunting down the countless Server Admins for each of those hosts, I was hoping we could accomplish this via a Deployment App. To prevent the app from repeatedly performing this on the same host, maybe I'd have to implement logic similar to this:

if [[ ! -e /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg.dup_guid ]]; then
  mv /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg.dup_guid
  /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk restart
fi

I guess it might be tedious when I have to manually add the ~600 affected hosts to my custom app's Server Class, but I still think this will be easier/quicker than hunting down the Server Admins.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The config files in an app cannot overwrite instance.cfg.  You can, however, deploy a scripted input in an app and have that scripted input delete instance.cfg and restart Splunk.  Your existing shell script should work fine as a scripted input.  Be sure to configure the input to run only when Splunk starts (interval=-1).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

moredonuts20
Engager

Thanks! As described above, I went ahead and created guidcleanup.sh like so:

#!/bin/bash
if [[ ! -e /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg.dup_guid ]]; then
 mv /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg  /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/instance.cfg.dup_guid
 /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk restart
fi

To test this script on a forwarder, I tried using the following commands:

cd /opt/splunkforwarder/bin; ./splunk cmd ../etc/apps/guid_cleanup/bin/guidcleanup.sh

...but it failed. It revealed that our previous Splunk admins have been rolling out Splunk forwarders with splunkd running as root!

To fix this particular forwarder, I stopped splunkd, recursively chowned /opt/splunkforwarder to splunk:splunk, then restarted splunkd. After doing this, the above commands ran successfully.

At this point, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get Splunk to automatically execute guidcleanup.sh (even after I remove instance.cfg.dup_guid.)

Here's some info from the forwarder:

-bash-4.2$ ls -l ~/etc/apps/guid_cleanup/bin/*sh
-rwx------ 1 splunk splunk 276 Oct 18 14:40 /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/guid_cleanup/bin/guidcleanup.sh
-bash-4.2$ grep guidcleanup.sh ~/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log*
-bash-4.2$ id
uid=3003(splunk) gid=44399(splunk) groups=44399(splunk)

Here is the forwarder's ~/etc/apps/guid_cleanup/local/inputs.conf:

[script://./bin/guidcleanup.sh]
disabled = false
index = main
interval = -1

Unfortunately, this didn't improve things, either:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/guid_cleanup/bin/guidcleanup.sh]
disabled = false
index = main
interval = -1

How do I get Splunk to execute guidcleanup.sh for me?

Lastly, I'm guessing the vast majority of the 600 forwarders have splunkd running as root. If this is the case, then would I be able to run "chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunkforwarder" as a scripted input? If not, then I guess there really is no other option than having the Server Admins address these issues themselves.

Thanks again for your input.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...