How would u typically do this step of updating conf
Files with ip addresses..in aws world?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rarsan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Using Splunk AWS CloudFormation, the cluster configuration, as described in Splunk docs, is all automated by Chef using Splunk Cookbook. In a nutshell:

CloudFormation creates in AWS as many EC2 instances as needed each with assigned role (e.g. cluster master, search head, peer node, etc.) and provisions a new Chef server among other things. Each EC2 instance, as it bootstraps, checks in with the Chef server to receive instructions on how to configure itself, along with actual state of the system including ip addresses of other nodes such as the cluster master. Part of the instructions (i.e. Splunk Chef recipe), it will dynamically update the appropriate conf files with attributes such as ip addresses.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rarsan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Using Splunk AWS CloudFormation, the cluster configuration, as described in Splunk docs, is all automated by Chef using Splunk Cookbook. In a nutshell:

CloudFormation creates in AWS as many EC2 instances as needed each with assigned role (e.g. cluster master, search head, peer node, etc.) and provisions a new Chef server among other things. Each EC2 instance, as it bootstraps, checks in with the Chef server to receive instructions on how to configure itself, along with actual state of the system including ip addresses of other nodes such as the cluster master. Part of the instructions (i.e. Splunk Chef recipe), it will dynamically update the appropriate conf files with attributes such as ip addresses.

Hope this helps.

0 Karma

ajaysamantbms
Explorer

I am going through the cookbook. Thanks.
Would you be able to point out the location in chef code where it gets the ip address from the master node splunk ec2 instance and uses that to configure the search head instance - just for example - i wanted to see how that logic works. how does the agent pass that info to recipe

I am trying to understand how the chef passes the ip address of the master node to search head and enters the ip address of the master node to create this section
[clustering]
master_uri = https://10.152.31.202:8089 in server.conf of search head- the ip address is dynamic.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...