All Apps and Add-ons

auto run splunk tour

renems
Communicator

I made a nice splunk tour. Only thing I'd like to accomplish, is to have it started automatically for all of our splunk users. Somehow I can't get it done. Not much documentation to fall back upon.

How do I have my product tour to auto-start?

I'm aware that you can run it by adding "?tour=" to a dashboard, but that makes it essential to run that dashboard. I'd prefer a solution where it just pops up, kind of like the product tour splunk by default brings to the table.

1 Solution

ebond_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @renems

To make a tour auto start, all you have to do is name the tour the same id(name) of the dashboard/view with "-tour" appended to it.
For example:
If you have a dashboard named "Foo Dashboard", Splunk will give it the id of "foo_dashboard" and it's accessed by the url "app/search/foo_dashboard"... if you name the tour "foo_dashboard-tour", it will automatically pop up a request to take the tour.

so the tour in etc/system/local/ui-tour.conf would look like this:

[foo_dashboard-tour]

NOTE: Once the user takes the tour or skips it from the dialog, an attribute is set on that tour that it has been viewed and the auto popup will no longer happen. To override this and have the tour prompt happen each time, you need to set an attribute of "viewed = 0" to the tour.

Hope this helps! If you need anymore detailed help, drop me an email.

View solution in original post

renems
Communicator

Thank you Eric, this was exactly what I was looking for!

0 Karma

renems
Communicator

I also noticed that the text in the pop-up is customizable by using "intro = some text" in the ui-tour.conf. Thought I'd mention this for others who stumble into this issue.

ebond_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yep! good catch.

0 Karma

ebond_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @renems

To make a tour auto start, all you have to do is name the tour the same id(name) of the dashboard/view with "-tour" appended to it.
For example:
If you have a dashboard named "Foo Dashboard", Splunk will give it the id of "foo_dashboard" and it's accessed by the url "app/search/foo_dashboard"... if you name the tour "foo_dashboard-tour", it will automatically pop up a request to take the tour.

so the tour in etc/system/local/ui-tour.conf would look like this:

[foo_dashboard-tour]

NOTE: Once the user takes the tour or skips it from the dialog, an attribute is set on that tour that it has been viewed and the auto popup will no longer happen. To override this and have the tour prompt happen each time, you need to set an attribute of "viewed = 0" to the tour.

Hope this helps! If you need anymore detailed help, drop me an email.

ejahnke
Explorer

Is this still applicable? It doesn't seem to work in my case. I appended the "-tour" suffix to the ID of the dashboard, but it doens't start when I view the dashboard. (Tried it with a test user)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...