All Apps and Add-ons

app or add-on for IBM Aspera HSTS?

mitag
Contributor

Would anyone be willing to partner with me on creating a Splunk add-on or an app, for IBM Aspera HSTS (High Speed Transfer Server, formerly "Enterprise Server")?

I've spent a couple of years writing arcane SPL to extract KVs and create dashboards like this - but am rather clueless about how to make that knowledge useful to others and formalize what I learned into an add-on or an app. I am assuming the first step is create a CIM, and then create an add-on around that CIM - yet like I said, I am mostly clueless about it.

Dashboard - Aspera FASP Statistics - 30d - Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 12.41.14 AM.png

Here is what I have:

• lots of logs (a few GBs) from a couple Windows Aspera server in my team
  • a few ad-hoc dashboards full of regex-based queries doing KV extraction (quite a few were done with amazing @to4kawa's help)
  • IBM's unofficial guide to deciphering their logs
  • time and energy to test and tune an app and to continuously collaborate on it:)

I'd be very grateful for any help! (If you're willing to help, no prior Aspera HSTS knowledge is needed - only knowledge on how to craft apps and add-ons.)

Thanks!

P.S. The potential user base for such an app or add-on does not seem to be huge - yet the software is quite popular and there doesn't seem to be much of an effort to create appropriate CIMs or add-ons for it.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

mitag
Contributor

P.P.S. Quite a few good operational / observability questions that can be answered with such an app or an add-on - i.e. there's a good business case for it:

• which sources or targets (aka "partners") have the highest error and failure rates, slowest transfer rates? How have these metrics changed over time?
  • a realtime dashboard of transfers in progress, with ETCs (estimated times of completion), error rates, other stats
  • flag failures and errors that could be on our side, potentially due to application errors or resource exhaustion
  • capacity planning (are our aspera servers right-sized? when will we need to upgrade or scale them, if ever?)
  • etc...
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...