whitelist.0 = xyz-common-apps
[serverClass:base-xyz:app:placeholder]

2 deploymentclient.conf on deployment client /etc/system/local

[deployment-client]
disabled = 0
clientName = xyz-common-apps
[target-broker:deploymentServer]
targetUri = x.y.z.d:8089

3 list deploy-clients in DS shows deployment client with right client name connected

But still no app has been deployed to client although app is available

4 restarted both sides

Appreciate inputs

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Mag2sub
Path Finder

Just got around to spending some time on this and realised i had typo ed the deployment app folder name and only when i changed the app stanza in serverclass to the typo ed name it worked....always get confused when they mean folder name when they say app name in description!

Getting back just piggybacking a extended question

what would be real disadvantage of having a system local deploymentclient.conf other than the usual suspects of
1)Cannot centrally manage the deploymentclient.conf file itself thru an app to bootstrap it or embed it in each deployable app ?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Mag2sub
Path Finder

Even if we were to deploy the deloymentclient.conf in an app...unless im amiss the first CLI deploy poll from client would create the deploymentclient.conf in system local and you would have the app local also deployed ...we would have to remove the system local client always as a clean up....?

Trying to touch remote machines only when necessary

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Ideally, you'd manage deploymentclient.conf in an app, should you ever need to relocate the DS to a new server.

0 Karma

Mag2sub
Path Finder

Just got around to spending some time on this and realised i had typo ed the deployment app folder name and only when i changed the app stanza in serverclass to the typo ed name it worked....always get confused when they mean folder name when they say app name in description!

Getting back just piggybacking a extended question

what would be real disadvantage of having a system local deploymentclient.conf other than the usual suspects of
1)Cannot centrally manage the deploymentclient.conf file itself thru an app to bootstrap it or embed it in each deployable app ?

0 Karma

Runals
Motivator

For these types of spelling issues I run the following query once an hour:

index=_internal source=*splunkd.log (component=application OR component=serverclass) warn OR error

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

since you solved your own problem, I moved your comment to the answer and selected it as correct so you'd get karma for it. For your "piggyback" question, I would recommend pulling it out as a distinct question for folks to find/comment on/answer. The answers site "model" really doesn't work well for doing "piggybacking"

0 Karma

LiquidTension
Path Finder

Are you able to post what you are seeing in your splunkd log file on the client?

0 Karma

Mag2sub
Path Finder

Yes ...owned by splunk:splunk which runs splunkd

appreciate inputs if amiss

0 Karma

grijhwani
Motivator

Is the target ${SPLUNK_HOME}/etc/apps writable by the uid running splunkd?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...