All Apps and Add-ons

Windows TA XmlFixup source transforms not applying

c_boggs
Explorer

Utilizing Splunk_TA_windows 5.0.1, on Splunk 7.1.2 - I have applocker event log inputs defined (with renderXml = true) on various hosts running the Universal Forwarder, with no sourcetype set in the inputs.conf.

The issue is that the TA is not properly setting the expected source for an XmlWinEventLog* sourcetyped event. They remain as they were before the TA upgrade - which is "WinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL" instead of the expected "XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL".

It gets more confusing because the TA renames sourcetypes at search time with a props "rename" option, but I was able to verify the sourcetype is indexed correctly by searching using _sourcetype instead and getting the expected results.

On our heavy forwarder, I dug into the TA and found a couple wildcard stanzas that apply transforms which are supposed to change the source and sourcetype:

default\props.conf

[(?::){0}WinEventLog:*]
TRANSFORMS-Fixup = ta-windows-fix-classic-source,ta-windows-fix-sourcetype

[(?::){0}XmlWinEventLog:*]
TRANSFORMS-XmlFixup = ta-windows-fix-xml-source,ta-windows-fix-sourcetype

default\transforms.conf

[ta-windows-fix-classic-source]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Source
REGEX = (?m)^LogName=(.+?)\s*$
FORMAT = source::WinEventLog:$1

[ta-windows-fix-xml-source]
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Source
REGEX = <Channel>(.+?)<\/Channel>.*
FORMAT = source::XmlWinEventLog:$1

[ta-windows-fix-sourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
REGEX = sourcetype::([^:]*)
FORMAT = sourcetype::$1

However, these don't seem to be matching events properly, in this specific example, an event sourcetyped "XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL".

To test, I added the following stanza in the windows TA local\props.conf on the HF and restarted it:

[XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL]
TRANSFORMS-XmlFixup = ta-windows-fix-xml-source,ta-windows-fix-sourcetype

And I get the expected results - the transforms now apply to that sourcetype, and the correct source of "XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL" is now indexed.

Is this a bug in the TA or my version of Splunk with the "undocumented" sourcetype stanza wildcard method, or have I got something misconfigured?

0 Karma

bhargavnariyani
Path Finder

Hey @c.boggs,
As I didn't have a live event for the same, I verified this using make results on Splunk 7.0.0 Standalone machine, by installing the latest Windows TA-5.0.1
Things did work as expected for me, source converted to XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-AppLocker/EXE and DLL while sourcetype to XmlWinEventLog
I don't think there is an issue with TA.
Still a sample event from you can be helpful to crosscheck.
PFA of my sample event got correctly assigned source and sourcetype screenshot.alt text

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...