All Apps and Add-ons

Windows Infrastructure app and Invalid Language Specified

curtisb1024
Path Finder

After installing the Windows Infrastructure app, none of the dashboards for this app will load. Instead of dashboards displaying, an HTTP 404 error occurs with the message "Invalid Language Specified". Installing the app via the Web UI, CLI, or by just unpacking it in to the apps folder makes no difference. Further, this issue does not occur with Splunk running on Windows servers, this issue only occurs on Linux installs of Splunk (it might occur on other OSes, but I've only tested against Windows and Linux.)

1 Solution

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is an issue with Splunk Enterprise 6.0.x releases that affects the Web Framework when running as a "normal user" on Linux. To work around the issue, use chmod to enable write-access to two directories:

chmod 755 $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/framework 
chmod 755 $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/framework/server/static

Once this is done, your install should work.

View solution in original post

mhassan
Path Finder

Please be aware if you are in a search pool environment (using NFS for example) you need to copy framework directory to the centralized area.

Example:
cp /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework nfs:/sharedmount/etc/apps
chmod -R 755 /shareemount/etc/apps/framework

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is an issue with Splunk Enterprise 6.0.x releases that affects the Web Framework when running as a "normal user" on Linux. To work around the issue, use chmod to enable write-access to two directories:

chmod 755 $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/framework 
chmod 755 $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/framework/server/static

Once this is done, your install should work.

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I should additionally comment, this affects ONLY the rpm install - there are certain directories, including and under the etc/apps/framework directory that are installed with 555 permissions (i.e. no write access) by default.

This does not affect the TGZ bundle, nor does it affect Windows or Mac installs.

curtisb1024
Path Finder

After a day of pulling my hair out over this, the root cause appears to be that the Windows Infrastructure app tries to copy several new files in to /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework and it's sub-directories. The problem though is that a default Splunk install on Linux makes this directory (and everything in it) read-only. Copying the necessary files in to this directory fails, which causes the app to display the misleading "Invalid Language Specified" error. To fix this issue, add User write permission to the folder and all of it's contents.

0 Karma

mgaraventa_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I had the same issue on a RHEL6.5 on Splunk 6.0.1 (build 189883). In my case it has been necessary, after executing the chmod commands, to restart the Splunk instance in order to see the issue disappear. I wanted to mention this, thanks.

0 Karma

curtisb1024
Path Finder

This issue can be reproduced by installing any 6.x version of Splunk using the Linux RPM package (I've not tried the tar or deb installers), start Splunk as the "splunk" user, and then install the Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure. This issue occurs right out of the box, no config changes are necessary to cause the issue.

Tested and occurs on:

• CentOS 6.5: Splunk 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2
  • Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.5: Splunk 6.0, 6.0.1

These are just the setups I confirmed it occurs of, from @ahall_splunk response it seems like it should occur regardless of the OS or 6.x version.

0 Karma

jbernt_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Which user is Splunk running as on the systems? What repro steps can you provide that will help us debug this?
Which version of Splunk are you using?

0 Karma

dbylertbg
Path Finder

I had the exact problem specified in the original question, and added full write access recursively to /opt/splunk/etc/apps/framework for the 'splunk' user. Now I don't get the 404 error but I get: "Error: AttributeError at /en-us/splunk_app_windows_infrastructure/"

Any thoughts?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...