All Apps and Add-ons

Will the Splunk Add-on for Microsoft SQL Server suffice to access logs from SQL server? Should I use Splunk DB Connect as well?

damode
Motivator

I wish to get only user access logs from SQL Server. Basically, who accesses what database at what time.

For this purpose, is the Splunk add on for microsoft sql server enough or DB Connect is also required ?

My understanding is that I could be able to get the user access info from AUDIT LOG but I am uncertain about that.

1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have two choices that I'm aware of to obtain the SQL server audit logs, send the logs to the security event viewer and attempt to read them through from there.
Or send them to a binary audit file.

The binary audit file requires a connection to SQL server to read the data from it, at the time of writing the documentation for sys.fn_get_audit_file is here , if you want to connect to an SQL server to read the binary audit file you will need the DB connect app to perform the connection.

The app for Microsoft SQL server can help with tagging the relevant fields for CIM compatibility.

View solution in original post

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have two choices that I'm aware of to obtain the SQL server audit logs, send the logs to the security event viewer and attempt to read them through from there.
Or send them to a binary audit file.

The binary audit file requires a connection to SQL server to read the data from it, at the time of writing the documentation for sys.fn_get_audit_file is here , if you want to connect to an SQL server to read the binary audit file you will need the DB connect app to perform the connection.

The app for Microsoft SQL server can help with tagging the relevant fields for CIM compatibility.

damode
Motivator

Hi @garethatiag,

Sorry for late reply to this post and thanks for your answer.

You suggested using this app for Microsoft SQL server, but isnt that abandoned ?
It says on this page, https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1524/#/overview.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...