All Apps and Add-ons

Why would the source type cisco:ios not be getting created? Can I add it manually?

QHGC

complete Splunk noob
Just installed a fresh splunk-6.2.1-245427-x64-release on a Win2012 GUI box and installed:
Cisco Networks (cisco_ios) 2.1.1
Cisco Networks Add-on (TA-cisco_ios) 2.1.0

When I try to configure as per the instructions:
Syslog input: Enable a UDP input with a custom port number on your Splunk forwarder or Splunk indexer. Set the sourcetype to cisco:ios or syslog
I dont get the cisco:ios option as a source type; the only cisco item is cisco:asa

Any ideas why this would happen and how to resolve it?
Cheers

0 Karma
1 Solution

mikaelbje
Motivator

If you do this through the web interface of your Splunk Enterprise instance then choose custom sourcetype and then add the string cisco:ios in the input field. Leave source as it is, only modify the sourcetype.

View solution in original post

mikaelbje
Motivator

If you do this through the web interface of your Splunk Enterprise instance then choose custom sourcetype and then add the string cisco:ios in the input field. Leave source as it is, only modify the sourcetype.

QHGC

Thanks, I did do that but wasn't sure if it would work. Haven't been able to get any data from the switches yet and thought that might be a cause.
Thanks for the info guys 😉

0 Karma

mikaelbje
Motivator

If you're still not getting any data, check if Splunk is actually listening on the port that you chose with "netstat -an | findstr PORTNUMBER" in the Windows command line.

The next step would be to check your Windows firewall, then any other firewalls in the network.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

I think he means in the inputs on your forwarder set the sourcetype to cisco:ios.

ie. in your inputs.conf on your uf.

[udp://somelisteningport]
disabled = 0
index = cisco
sourcetype = cisco:ios

QHGC

But I'm not using a forwarder, single server instance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...