All Apps and Add-ons

Why isn't the licensing requirement stated in the Splunk Cloud Gateway install guide?

terminaloutcome
Path Finder

Instead of wasting admin's time in their dev environment, throwing a load of weird page errors and having an utterly broken interface (CSS won't load, etc) why not just state in the documentation that it requires a full license to install and use?

It's not stated anywhere that it's a requirement, and I had to dig into index=_internal log_level=ERROR source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunk_app_cloudgateway.log" to find the issue.

2019-10-23 21:24:39,035 ERROR [subscription_clean_up_modular_input.app] [subscription_clean_up_modular_input] [do_run] [21134] Failure encountered while running Subscription Clean Up
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/subscription_clean_up_modular_input.py", line 51, in do_run
    subscription_clean_up.run()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/spacebridgeapp/subscriptions/subscription_clean_up.py", line 36, in run
    users = get_all_users(self.session_key) + ['nobody']
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_app_cloudgateway/bin/spacebridgeapp/rest/services/splunk_service.py", line 87, in get_all_users
    raiseAllErrors=True
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/rest/__init__.py", line 533, in simpleRequest
    raise splunk.LicenseRestriction
LicenseRestriction: [HTTP 402] Current license does not allow the requested action
0 Karma

noahdietrich
Explorer

I have submitted this issue on the documentation page.

if you're running Splunk with the free license, you'll get the following error on the 'register' page: Unable to register device. SAML authentication is unsupported with Splunk versions earlier than 8.0.0.

The Trial license works (allow for registration of devices). I have tested with Splunk 8.0.2.1 on Ubuntu 18.

0 Karma

skalliger
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hey,

I understand your frustration but please us the docs feedback (not comment) that is provided on every docs page. This way, the docs team can actually read it, reply to you and change their docs in case a change is needed.

Skalli

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...