All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the predict command adding text "prediction" after lower95 and upper95 columns in version 6.4.0?

att35
Builder

Hi,

We are using Linux Auditd App to monitor and track all Audit events. One of the panels for "Anomalous Event Volume" works correctly on the Indexer(Currently on older version of 6.3.2) but shows "N/A" on the Search Head(Version 6.4.0). After doing some testing, it looks like the "predict" command being used is giving slightly different results in the latest version as compared to 6.3.2., which appears to be breaking the search. Here are the details:

Ran the following search on both Indexer and the SH

| tstats count WHERE [|inputlookup auditd_indicies] [|inputlookup auditd_sourcetypes] BY _time span=1h | predict count as prediction upper95=upper lower95=lower future_timespan=0

On Indexer(Version 6.3.2)
alt text

On Search Head(Version 6.4.0)
alt text

On the Search Head, the command adds "prediction" for both lower and upper column, which in turn breaks the subsequent eval function for range as it is still expecting columns "lower" and "upper". Here is the complete command used for this panel:

| tstats count WHERE [|inputlookup auditd_indicies] [|inputlookup auditd_sourcetypes] BY _time span=1h | predict count as prediction upper95=upper lower95=lower future_timespan=0 | eval range=upper-lower | eval difference=case(count>lower AND count<upper, 0, count<lower, round((count-lower)/range,1), count>upper, round((count-upper)/range,1)) | search difference=* | table _time difference

Why is it appending text (prediction) after the columns and is this what's causing the query to fail?

Thanks,

~ Abhi

0 Karma
1 Solution

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've successfully replicated this on splunk-6.4.1-debde650d26e.x86_64, so it appears to be a bug in the predict command. Could you please open a support ticket with Splunk?

In the interim, you could add renames between the predict and eval commands like so:

... | rename upper(prediction) as upper | rename lower(prediction) as lower | ...

View solution in original post

0 Karma

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've successfully replicated this on splunk-6.4.1-debde650d26e.x86_64, so it appears to be a bug in the predict command. Could you please open a support ticket with Splunk?

In the interim, you could add renames between the predict and eval commands like so:

... | rename upper(prediction) as upper | rename lower(prediction) as lower | ...

0 Karma

stmcmahon_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello

Turns out this is not a bug but an intended change. I have verified that (and double checked) with the product managers. The changes were introduced in 6.4.

The documentation team are working to update the docs to ensure this is clear that there was a specific and intended change.

Thank you!!

0 Karma

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi stmcmahon, could you please provide the rationale given by the PMs for changing this functionality?

0 Karma

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I updated the app to v2.0.3 more than two weeks ago, but it's still going though the certification process.

0 Karma

att35
Builder

That works perfectly. I'll open a support ticket with Splunk to report this.

Thanks again,

~ Abhi

0 Karma

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any update from support?

0 Karma

stmcmahon_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi - perhaps a dumb question, but if the bug is within the App, what would Splunk developers do? Or, is my understanding incorrect and the defect is actually in Core Splunk?

Please let me know

0 Karma

doksu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi stmcmahon, it's certainly a bug with core Splunk and not the app, but I do appreciate Abhi's raising the question because then other customers experiencing the issue after upgrading to Splunk 6.4.1 can discuss here. It's definitely not related to the app because the issue can be replicated by using the predict command against any dataset.

0 Karma

att35
Builder

Hi stmcmahon,

It appears that the app's search is breaking because now the upper and lower columns have additional text (prediction) being appended which was not there in previous versions. I believe if we could find out whether this is intended functionality change or not, then that might help us answer the question.

~ Abhi

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...