All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux consuming all memory on my Windows indexers?

tyronetv
Communicator

When I run this search on my search head:

earliest=-24h index=os sourcetype=ps tag=uat COMMAND=httpd|dedup PID | timechart span=1h count by host

The resulting search causes my indexers to go from 1.2G of ram to 12.0G of ram (how much memory they have) and cause all kind of faults. Errors talking to license server, completing search, etc., etc., to the point of making any other search, scheduled or ad-hoc, fail as well. I have two indexers and am only ingesting OS data from about 50 unix/Linux hosts currently.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I think you're hitting a Splunkd bug that causes over-aggressive expansion. Click "Inspect Search" and look at the normalized search; if it's expanding into all sorts of unexpected sourcetypes, you should probably upgrade to the latest Splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...