All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the Splunk Add-on for Bro IDS on a Splunk 6.4.0 indexer not automatically extracting fields ?

reesb
Engager

Hi,

I have the a Linux box running Bro 2.4 and the Splunk Universal forwarder (6.4.0) configured to monitor my bro logs and forward to an indexer running Splunk 6.4.0 with the Splunk Add-on for Bro IDS installed.
Splunk is setting the sourcetype correctly (bro_dhcp, bro_files ect..), however, the automatic field extraction is not working.

Is there anything I am missing?

stoomart
Explorer

Resolved by including the props.conf and transforms.conf file on the forwarder along with inputs.conf, which are required to perform INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS
per the document Extract fields from files with structured data.

macrocksdc
Engager

Indeed, props.conf, transforms.conf, and inputs.conf (from the Docs) on the UF for the win! The full TA on SH & IDX.

0 Karma

stoomart
Explorer

I'm running into the same issue with EPEL bro-2.4.1-3.el7.x86_64 on CentOS 7 and Splunk 6.5.1. Sourcetype is set correctly, but the dynamic field extraction process isn't working:

props.conf:

[bro]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TRUNCATE = 0
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20
TIME_FORMAT = %s.%6N
TRANSFORMS-BroAutoType = BroAutoType, TrashComments
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = TSV
FIELD_HEADER_REGEX = ^#fields\t(.*)
FIELD_DELIMITER = \t
FIELD_QUOTE = \t

Sample conn.log header:

#separator \x09
#set_separator  ,
#empty_field    (empty)
#unset_field    -
#path   conn
#open   2017-02-07-16-24-39
#fields ts  uid id.orig_h   id.orig_p   id.resp_h   id.resp_p   proto   service duration    orig_bytes  resp_bytes  conn_state  local_orig  local_resp  missed_bytes    history orig_pkts   orig_ip_bytes   resp_pkts   resp_ip_bytes   tunnel_parents
#types  time    string  addr    port    addr    port    enum    string  interval    count   count   string  bool    bool    count   string  count   count   count   count   set[string]
0 Karma

stoomart
Explorer

Also confirmed the same issue with Bro 2.5 installed using the CentOS 7 RPM from: https://www.bro.org/download/packages.html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...