All Apps and Add-ons

Why is no output generated using Splunk Real-Time Output app?

Thuan
Explorer

I have installed the RTO app.

(Scenario 1). To keep things simple, i have started with a simple scenario trying to enable only two field from my Netflow index

• search index=netflow | fields s_ip d_ip

I was not able to get Output Assistant to work, i.e, nothing would appear in the "Splunk FIelds". What I did was to change the search to

• search index=netflow | fields s_ip d_ip | eval cef_static_map="dst:d_ip,src:s_ip"

in the search field and enabled the search but NO output can be seen whether I am forwarding the data to an IP/host at port 514 or to a file (I check the log in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/rtouput)

(Scenario 2). Subsequently, I changed the search to

• search index=netflow

This time around, Output Assistant shows the all "Splunk Fields". This allows me to do the mapping of CEF fields to Splunk fields. I enabled the search but NO output can still be seen whether I am forwarding to an IP/host at 514 or to a file (I look at the log in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/rtouput)

Question 1. I do not understand the behavior of Output Assistant in scenario 1. This is important as I am dealing with many logs and I only want to send specific fields to ArcSight, and not necessarily the complete log record where there are many fields that don't have a matching CEF field.

Question 2. What did I do wrong in both scenarios because I did not see any output?

THANK YOU for your support.

0 Karma

areber04
Explorer

For scenario 1, does removing "search" from the string produce results?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...