All Apps and Add-ons

Why has AWS Data stopped coming into Splunk suddenly with error "ERRORClient is not authenticated"?

brent_weaver
Builder

We were getting cloud trail and config until 10am yesterday. I looked at events around this time in Splunk and do not see anything. We are getting the following errors.

06-12-2017 19:59:09.083 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/aws_config.py" ERRORClient is not authenticated

and

06-12-2017 19:59:08.920 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/bin/aws_cloudtrail.py" ERRORFail to load AWS Accounts - {"messages":[{"type":"WARN","text":"call not properly authenticated"}]}

Does anyone have any thoughts? Where do we even begin? I am told the cloud team made no changes, but that does not mean that they didn't.

Thanks!

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend
  1. Was this message generated from within the script aws_cloudtrail.py? If so, where and why would the script issue this message?
  2. Did a password change? (if passAuth is set in inputs.conf, then did the password for that user change - or expire?)
  3. Did an AWS password change?
  4. Did a firewall rule change?
  5. Was there an update to the OS or AWS or any other piece of software?

Go to Settings -> General Settings and change the log level for the exec processor to DEBUG (I assume that it is set to INFOR or WARN now). Let it run for a bit and then see what you can find in the splunkd.log (Note that this setting will revert if you restart Splunk...)

That's where I would start...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...