All Apps and Add-ons

Why does this transform (in pertained sourcetype from Splunk, not the TA) exists for this sourcetype?

wryanthomas
Contributor

Hi there. Could someone please explain why this transform (in pertrained sourcetype from Splunk, not the TA) exists for this sourcetype? It has the consequence of (in many cases) creating divergent host values for a single host, and we're wondering why Splunk has chosen to "bake it in" to do this.

Thanks for any insight.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, ingesting /var/log/messages as a whole is not the best idea. By default many different  types of events land there and there is really no standard format. That's why the events can, and often will get "misparsed".

0 Karma

warwicks1
Engager

Not sure why it is there exactly but I understand the idea. I do not like the out of the box "syslog" sourcetype for many things, I prefer to instead create sourcetypes specific to the syslogs from the sources I am dealing with at each new client. Their are multiple syslog patterns used by various vendors and on top of that often I see them modified during collection/centalization.
There is a bunch of questionable stuff in the nix TA though, look at the eventtypes.conf for some terrible examples of eventtype searches. Ever looked at your logs and wondered why the os and unix and error tags show up on such a wide variety of things? Nix TA eventtypes out of the box is the answer.
Also not forcing more care to be take with the broad ingestion of directories like /var/log/ results in forcing Splunk to do a lot of sourcetype guessing and, in most places I have been, initially results in many incorrect sourcetypings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...