All Apps and Add-ons

Why does the Field Extraction stanza in props.conf not work?

tomasmoser
Contributor

Hi,

Neither of field extraction stanzas in props.conf works. Weird, for example alternative stanza for sha1 in Splunk Web works correctly.

This works in Splunk Web:

sourcetype="XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational" 
| rex field=Hashes "SHA1=(?[a-fA-F0-9]{40})"

This stanza in props.conf does not work

EXTRACT-sha1 = SHA1=(?[a-fA-F0-9]{40}) in Hashes

Why?

Tomas

0 Karma

panovattack
Communicator

Splunk base is still serving up the version 5 code, even though version is labeled 6. May want to update on splunk base.

0 Karma

jpolcari
Communicator

In the newest version on github they have fixed this issue: https://github.com/splunk/TA-microsoft-sysmon

0 Karma

tomasmoser
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to fix a problem in default/props.conf file in the latest version of Splunk add-on TA-microsoft-sysmon.

I am not happy that default configuration does not work. However, I found the problem that is weird.

THIS DOES NOT WORK

default/props.conf:
[XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational]
... (no empty line)

THIS DOES WORK

local/props.conf:

If I add (only) the same EXTRACT-sha1 stanza in local/props.conf without with sourcetype definition as it was in default/props.conf it works!

Any idea?

Tomas

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

It's going to look something more like this -

transforms.conf

[extract_sha1]
        SOURCE_KEY = Hashes
        REGEX = SHA1=(?[a-fA-F0-9]{40})
        FORMAT= SHA1::$1

props.conf

[the Source Type or other distinguishing feature]
    TRANSFORMS = .... other extracts, including whatever makes "Hashes" ... extract_sha1
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...