All Apps and Add-ons

Why can't dbxoutput directly execute SQL?

munang
Path Finder

dbxquery allows queries using direct SQL. However, dbxoutput is only possible with output objects defined in db-connect-app.

Is there a fundamental reason for limiting this function (must be done only through DB-Connect-app)?

For example, if it is a security problem, it is simply a matter of granting permission separately.

I wonder if there might be some other underlying reason.

Text can be awkward with the help of a translator. please understand.

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @munang,

it's in the nature of the approach: you cannot have a performant response using an external query and JDBC driver.

the approach of Splunk is: ingest all the data in Splunk, index them and search everything.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

munang
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello 

Thank you so much for your answer.

Then I wonder why they didn't create another efficient command that can directly perform update or insert SQL.

Is it because of the burden of direct changes to the data itself compared to lookup queries such as select?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @munang,

it's in the nature of the approach: you cannot have a performant response using an external query and JDBC driver.

the approach of Splunk is: ingest all the data in Splunk, index them and search everything.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @munang,

Could you please check if Splunk DBConnect app permissions? Can you try changing app permissions to global? 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @munang,

the main reason is that dbxoutput is very slow so it isn't efficient to directly executeSQl queries.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...