All Apps and Add-ons

Why are my fields not showing after using interactive field extractor?

ulrich_track
Path Finder

I want to extract fields from my log files. Therefore I used the interactive field extractor. A regex was created, I tested and stored it and gave permissions to the search app.

When I enter the search app, my field does not show up.

Even when I select the same sourcetype. The field occurs in 195 of 7000 events.

What did I miss?
Is there also any tutorial on how to use Splunk-specific Regexes (e.g. ?P and that stuff)

0 Karma
1 Solution

ulrich_track
Path Finder

I just found the problem:
I named the FIELDNAME with a hyphen inside (Server-ID).
When deleting the Field Extraction, creating it again but storing under a name without a hyphen (ServerID), it showed up.
If hyphens pose a problem to splunk, the programmers should send a warning message that hyphens are not allowed, shouldn't they?

View solution in original post

Runals
Motivator

I recommend using either of the following sites to test your regex. If you load a few example logs there you can see how well it matches.

http://regex101.com

http://www.regexr.com/v1

The other way is to pull your regex out of the transforms and pop it into your search ala

... | rex "<your regex>" | table <rex defined field> _raw

if wanted to get crazy you could do something like the following as it is usually the punctuation that throws of rex statements (maybe just mine =).

... | dedup punct | rex "<your regex>" | table <rex defined field> _raw

The other issue is one of permissions but that is a harder nut to crack.

0 Karma

ulrich_track
Path Finder

I named the FIELDNAME with a hyphen inside (Server-ID).
When deleting the Field Extraction, creating it again but storing under a name without a hyphen (ServerID), it showed up.
If hyphens pose a problem to splunk, the programmers should send a warning message that hyphens are not allowed, shouldn't they?

ulrich_track
Path Finder

I named the FIELDNAME with a hyphen inside.
When deleting the Field Extraction, creating it again but storing under a name without a hyphen, it showed up.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

can you provide some sample events and the regex used?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...