All Apps and Add-ons

Why am I getting the following error after installing NMON Performance Monitor on a Linux server?

Venkat_16
Contributor

i have installed NMON on a Linux server. The Splunk forwarder is 7.0.2. However, I am not able to see NMON logs from this server and all I am getting is this error:

"ERROR, could not find an nmon binary suitable for this system, please install nmon manually and set it available in the user PATH"

Please suggest any solution if you have overcame a similar problem. Since we have service account permissions, please suggest a solution that don now involve root permissions.

Below is the sample inputs.conf

[script://./bin/nmon_cleaner.sh --cleancsv]
disabled = false
index = nmon
interval = 600
source = nmon_cleaner
sourcetype = nmon_clean

[script://./bin/nmon_helper.sh]
disabled = false
index = nmon
interval = 60
source = nmon_collect
sourcetype = nmon_collect

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hello,

It looks like the helper script could not find a binary that would be expected to suit the target server, which architecture / system / release is that ?

By default, the TA will extract Linux binaries from a builtin archive within the TA and searches for one that suits in term of system / architecture, if it does not find one it tries to check for a nmon binary available in the PATH, and finally produces this message if nothing could be found.

If your system is specific and not identified for some reasons, you can either compile your own version (which does not require the root unless there are some compilation related requirements) or download a binary that suits your system, then you could add it in a custom version of the TA Linux binaries archive.

The other and easiest solution is to install nmon and make it available in the path, but this requires the root obviously.

Last but not least, you simply download the good binary for your system, store it anywhere your service account has access to, and add it to the PATH of the service account user. (just as the message says by the way)

Can you return the result if it exists:

cat /etc/os-release

Guilhem

0 Karma

Venkat_16
Contributor

thanks for your reply.

I have two servers where one is sending nmon logs and other is not . I ran cat /etc/os-release on both servers and below are the results:

For server where nmon didtn work:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.7 (Santiago)

For server where nmon worked:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

Below are the linux rhel packages currently available:
nmon_ia64_rhel4

nmon_mainframe_32_rhel55

nmon_mainframe_64_rhel55

nmon_power_64_rhel6

nmon_x86_64_rhel45

nmon_x86_rhel5

versions.txt~
nmon_mainframe_32_rhel4

nmon_mainframe_64_rhel4

nmon_power_32_rhel5

nmon_power_64_rhel65

nmon_x86_64_rhel5

nmon_x86_rhel52
nmon_mainframe_32_rhel5

nmon_mainframe_64_rhel5

nmon_power_32_rhel6

nmon_power_64_rhel7

nmon_x86_64_rhel54

nmon_x86_rhel54
nmon_mainframe_32_rhel52

nmon_mainframe_64_rhel52
nmon_power_64le_rhel7

nmon_power_64_rhel71be
nmon_x86_64_rhel6

nmon_x86_rhel6
nmon_mainframe_32_rhel53

nmon_mainframe_64_rhel53

nmon_power_64_rhel5

nmon_x86_64_rhel4

nmon_x86_64_rhel7

versions.txt

0 Karma

Venkat_16
Contributor

I also found the error in internal logs:

timestamp ERROR ArchiveContext - From archive='/var/log/nmon/deehvdb172cfsri_180925_0000.nmon': Can't locate Time/HiRes.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /home/splunk/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/TA-nmon/bin/nmon2csv.pl line 82.

so should i also update my perl with l WITH Time::HiRes module

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

Ok so for the error this is because you are missing a Perl dependency on the server:

https://ta-nmon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/requirements.html

When Python 2.7.x is not available, the TA switches to Perl which requires the Time::HiRes module.
You need your admin to deploy the rpm on the system.

Have you checked if you have:

/etc/os-release
/etc/redhat-release

Please paste details of both if possible

0 Karma

Venkat_16
Contributor

Thanks alot Guilhem for your response.

Please find the details below:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago)

Linux 2.6.32-754.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 24 18:18:25 EDT 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We have raised a ticket to update perl.

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

Do you have any progress on your issue ?
We may talk on Slack if you like for faster exchanges, let me know how I can help.

Guilhem

0 Karma

Venkat_16
Contributor

Thanks for you support . i dont have a slackID. would gmail work?

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi Venkat,

Sorry about late reply, was delayed by the Splunk conf 😉

My email is guilhem.marchand@gmail.com, please send me an email and we'll start exchanging.

Guilhem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...