All Apps and Add-ons

Why Splunk CIM app showing page not found, when it is launched?

akarivaratharaj
Communicator

I have installed the CIM app 4.3.1 on Splunk 6.4.1 version. When I launch the application it is showing the error as below:

"404 Not Found
Return to Splunk home page
Page not found!
View more information about your request (request ID = 59faaaf5d67fd087d85f50) in Search"

Could anyone please help me in this case.

0 Karma
1 Solution

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The CIM add-on should not be a visible app that you can click on at all. A variety of unexpected results can occur when you make an add-on Visible when it doesn't have views to display. It's possible that your CIM add-on has been marked as Visible by mistake.

To turn off visibility of an add-on:

1. Go to Apps > Manage Apps.
  2. Find the row for the add-on you are working with and click Edit properties.
  3. Under Visible, choose No, then click Save.

Once the add-on is no longer Visible, it continues to supply its functionality to your Splunk platform instance. For example, you can still find all the CIM data models by going to Settings > Data models.

(Reference: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Overview/Troubleshootadd-ons#Check_if_the_add-o...)

View solution in original post

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The CIM add-on should not be a visible app that you can click on at all. A variety of unexpected results can occur when you make an add-on Visible when it doesn't have views to display. It's possible that your CIM add-on has been marked as Visible by mistake.

To turn off visibility of an add-on:

1. Go to Apps > Manage Apps.
  2. Find the row for the add-on you are working with and click Edit properties.
  3. Under Visible, choose No, then click Save.

Once the add-on is no longer Visible, it continues to supply its functionality to your Splunk platform instance. For example, you can still find all the CIM data models by going to Settings > Data models.

(Reference: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Overview/Troubleshootadd-ons#Check_if_the_add-o...)

akarivaratharaj
Communicator

Hi @rpille,

Thanks for your help for making me to understand about the working of CIM app.

I have installed the "Add-on for Jira" app on Splunk. The same situation which I faced for CIM app, is same I am facing for add-on for jira also. Whenever I launch the application it is showing "page not found". This is also the case as like CIM app without home page?

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Correct, the Add-on for Jira is also not visible, so there is nothing to launch. The add-on ships with visibility turned off, so it probably was mistakenly changed to visible in your environment. Follow the same steps as above to turn the visibility back off.

0 Karma

akarivaratharaj
Communicator

Okay. The application is mainly used to connect the JIRA and Splunk and fetch the data from jira using the JQL query in the splunk itself. So how can we search those using the query.

So in this case, do we need to use the search app only for writing our JQL queries?

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, that's right. The Jira add-on is a very typical add-on because once you install and configure it, it provides capabilities "behind the scenes" that you can use elsewhere in the Splunk platform. See the definition of an add-on here: https://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Addon

You can do all your searching in the Search and Reporting app. I see that the Jira add-on's detail page in Splunkbase provides many sample searches. https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1438/#/details

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The CIM add-on is not a visible app in Splunk Web -- meaning there are no views or custom screens -- so there is nothing to launch. In order to reach the setup page, click on Apps > Manage Apps and then click on "set up" in the row for the CIM.

akarivaratharaj
Communicator

Hi @rpille,

Thanks for your response. I am able to access the setup menu as you said above.

But what I am expecting is , the home page with search bar as like other apps. For instance, Search & Reporting app: if we click on the application we will get the default home page with a search bar and the menus in it.

So is it possible to have that home page setup with CIM app?

0 Karma

rpille_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The CIM add-on, once installed, provides a set of data models and some other functionality to your search head. It isn't an app like others you may be imagining, with dashboards and navigation. Once you've installed it, just keep using the search and reporting app as you normally would.

The docs walk through some examples of how you might apply the CIM to your use cases here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/CIM/4.9.1/User/HowtouseCIM

0 Karma

akarivaratharaj
Communicator

Hi @rpille,

Yeah I can understand the context. As you said, we are going to use only the data models from CIM app. so we can achieve it through settings or setup option.

I have tested this by installing the CIM app in my local. When I click on the CIM app, it is taking me to the default home page with a search bar and a time range picker.

How come it is showing home page if it is installed in local but showing page not found if we done on cluster.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...