All Apps and Add-ons

Which method to do Cisco Firesight data collection: estreamer vs syslog?

koshyk
Super Champion

eStreamer has got lot of disadvantages (eg extra perl modules, pull technology etc..). So was planning to use "syslog" from Cisco Firesight/Defence Centre. Does anyone know if there are issues with Firesight syslog? Is any data missing if we use syslog?
I can see Splunk supported addon works with both estreamer output and syslog. So preferred way for us is to go with syslog.

Would be very helpful to know if any of you have implemented using Firesight syslog.

0 Karma

douglashurd
Builder

A new Splunk Firepower solution is now available if you are using Firepower version 6.x. You can download the new eStreamer eNcore for Splunk and the separately installable dashboard from the two links below:

eStreamer eNcore
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3662/

eNcore Dashboard
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3663/

It is free to use and well documented but if you would like to purchase a TAC Support service so that you can obtain installation and configuration assistance and troubleshooting you can order the software from Cisco (support obligatory with this purchase). The Product Identifier is: FP-SPLUNK-SW-K9.

Regardless of whether you take up the support option or not, updated versions will be made available to all free of charge and posted on Splunkbase as well as Cisco Downloads.

0 Karma

hyunpyun

Hello Koshyk,

So how did you set up your FMC data collection, via eStreamer or syslog?
I am in a situation where you were about 2 years ago. Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

0 Karma

mosman_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if you are using splunk ES then eStreamer will populate more dashboard for you as bellow :
1- Intrusion Detection
2- Network Traffic
3- Malware
while syslog give you only Malware
I'd highly recommend using eStreamer even if you are not using ES now .
good luck

kheli
Path Finder

With syslog, you are also able to send intrusion events by configuring intrusion policy advanced settings on FireSIGHT.

hopnscotch6

But is this just a consequence of the parsing/tagging that is provided with the current Firesight app? Or is there an actual difference in the data that is sent via syslog as opposed to pulled by estreamer?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...