All Apps and Add-ons

Where is the best place to look for entitled capacity vs virtual processors for an LPAR?

harry_hodge
Explorer

When using nmon locally the ability to see Entitled capacity vs Virtual processors vs logical processors (threads) provides the ability to tell if a lpar is mis-sized or overloaded. Virtual processors alone and/or EC alone does not tell the whole story. It looks like right now I have to use a couple screens to get the info.

0 Karma

guilmxm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Harry,

Ok, i think i understand better your comment.

These show what EC is but not what EC
is being used. On an nmon screen upper
right using "c" you will see
"EntitledCPU= 14.00 UsedCPU= 1.849"

If you take the chart from the "NMON ANALYSER" view, the serie called "lpar_vp_usage" equals to "UsedCPU" you underlined.
This is the amount of virtual CPU units the micro partitions uses, so its CPU usage in Virtual CPUs units.

This value can be calculated over the EC (for shared partitions only) or over the VP.

At the bottom of the box you will see
in lower left "EC= 15.1% VP= 15.1%"

These are corresponding CPU usage evaluated in Percentage over the EC and the VP, if you have a partition with 2 vCPUS that consumes 1 vCPU, the lpar_vp_usage (and the UsedCPU in terminal) would show 1, both EC and VP would show 50%.

Traditionally, people when analyzing micro-partitions in PSeries environments will focus on Virtual CPUs units usage more than percentage representation of its CPU utilization (which is finally the same), but you can easily compare a virtual CPU utilization in vCPUs units versus the Pool capacity, or the PSeries available or activated virtual CPUs number.

--> This is what does the official Nmon Analyser Excel datasheet for example, and most other tools like nmon2rrd and so on

Note, that you can also get the same CPU utilization statistics evaluated in percentage (calculated over the EC or the VP) in the dedicated LPAR Virtual CPU Utilization interface, choosing the dropdown "Show Load by" and then the option you want.

Off course, you can create your own visualizations, interface or dashboard, the Nmon Performance applications itself delivers various ways to analyse data the way you like, the HOWTO interface "LPAR PSeries IBM Partitions Statistics" exposes different ways available to analyse AIX partitions stats, the dedicated interface allows you to use the method your prefer, Nmon Analyser view uses the standard way of the original Nmon Excel Analyser in a Splunky way, Data models also allows you to play with stats the way you want... and so !

I am taking of note of the opportunity to add the same kind of information you see in terminal mode, and will let you know 🙂

Again, don't hesitate if this is not clear (or in case of mistake !), and thank for your comment !

0 Karma

guilmxm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hello,

The chart you are looking for is available is several location within the application:

• Dashboard "NMON ANALYSER" on top right of the home page, in the tab called "LPAR, Virtual CPU usage":

alt text

it shows the Virtual CPU usage of the micro-partition vs the Virtual CPU configuration vs the Entitled configuration

• Interface "AIX: Virtual Partition CPU Utilization", by default the VirtualCPUs / entitled are optional, you can activate using the dropdown "LPAR additional Series:" on top of the chart:

alt text

I will be happy to take note of any enhancement request if you are feeling that something could be improved, in the case please open an issue with some description in github:

https://github.com/guilhemmarchand/nmon-for-splunk/issues

Guilhem

0 Karma

harry_hodge
Explorer

These show what EC is but not what EC is being used. On an nmon screen upper right using "c" you will see
"EntitledCPU= 14.00 UsedCPU= 1.849"

At the bottom of the box you will see in lower left
"EC= 15.1% VP= 15.1%"

and to the right of that.
"Folded=9--|-SMT=4-----100% VP=14CPU"

from what I am understanding of the graphs the Entitled CPU = xx.xx value, VP=xxCPU value, and VP= xx.x% values are shown. Is there a place that has these with the "UsedCPU=xx.xx value imposed on it as well?

If not I should be able to eventually get it added.
Thanks,
John

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...