All Apps and Add-ons

Where is the OVA for Netapp TA Data Collection?

archspangler
Path Finder

The release notes at https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3418/#/overview

States " Additionally the ready to deploy OVA for deploying a Data Collection Node has been shipped separately as a standalone download on Splunkbase"

I am having trouble locating the OVA download on Splunkbase.

Can someone post the URL?

Thanks!

0 Karma

mdonnelly_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@archspangler, I bet you've already worked around this by now - but I'm answering for everyone else with the same question.

A Data Collection Node is basically a Splunk heavy forwarder, configured and scheduled by a central Splunk process called "hydra". The collection of data from VMware and from NetApp ONTAP each use this approach.

There isn't a specific OVA for use with Netapp collection, BUT there's no reason you can't simply jumpstart the process by using the VMware OVA. (That's what I do, anyway.) This gives you benefits of an easily-deployed / easily configured virtual appliance as a starting point, where Splunk and the OS are ready to go.

To that, you simply add the NetApp components - and ignore the VMware components or disable or delete the VMware pieces. (They can live side-by-side without conflict, but don't try to use the same DCN for dual roles. The scheduler doesn't know how to balance such wildly different work loads.)

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

"Data Collection Node" ("DCN") is a VMWare term; is it this one?
https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3216/

0 Karma

archspangler
Path Finder

I guess I am confused why in the release notes of the Netapp TA they talk about a VMWare Data Collection node?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...