All Apps and Add-ons

Where is splunk_for_vmware_forwarder_appliance

timmy13
Communicator

I feel dumb even asking this. But, I am trying to get the Splunk app for vmware up and running. I am told to create the virtual machine splunk_for_vmware_forwarder_appliance, but I can not find this ovf file anywhere. Can someone point me to where it's at?

Thanks

timmy13
Communicator

Making progress...

I can now access the OVA front end and have configured the add-on. However, when I provide VCenter credentials, I get green on VC Credential Validation, but red on Collecting from. "Error getting host list from server"

Thanks

0 Karma

mglauser_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hello,

Writing to ask if you have a link to the page that mentions "splunk_for_vmware_forwarder_appliance". I'd love to inject more clarity into the docs.

Thanks

0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

I'm sorry. I'm just getting back to this as I moved to a different app installation. I went back and looked and I don't find what I was referring to. I'm going to start from scratch today and will let you know if I find that reference.

0 Karma

mgildenhorn_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the latest release, they split the app into 3 separate components:

• Splunk App for VMware
  • Splunk Add-On for VMware
  • Splunk OVA for VMware

The OVA is the optional virtual appliance that is the data collector. It is optional because you can build your own if you don't want to use the OVA. That, along with the add-on is required for complete setup of the data collection. The app is required for the front end visualization and pre-built dashboards. The app is the licensed component, where the add-on and OVA are free.

timmy13
Communicator

OK, I already hit my first snag. Our environment does not have DHCP. So when the OVA is installed, it tries to get an address and can't. However, when I try to modify the ifcfg-eth0, as user splunkadmin, it won't let me write as it's owned by root. How can I change the IP from DHCP to static?

0 Karma

timmy13
Communicator

I figured it out. You can sudo passwd root and change the root pw

0 Karma

kserra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This ova is linked in the official docs here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VMW/3.3.0/Installation/DeploytheDataCollectionNodeOVA

It is now available on splunkbase linked here:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3216/

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

It's weird as the official documentation doesn't seem to point to the file.

The following About the Splunk OVA for VMware
says -

-- The Splunk OVA for VMware is a pre-configured virtual machine with a lightweight operating system, Splunk heavy forwarder and all necessary add-ons and supporting add-ons for scheduling collection of inventory and performance data from VMWare vCenter servers.

But I can't find a link to the file itself...

0 Karma

mglauser_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Dan,

Thanks for pointing this out. I added a link to Splunkbase on the page you listed in an effort to promote more clarity.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...