All Apps and Add-ons

When setting up the DB Connect App, does it have to be installed on the server where the search is executed as well as the indexer?

damucka
Builder

Hello,

A colleague, who is a Splunk admin in our company, installed the DB Connect App. Now, I would like to use it not only to create inputs and read from them but also for real time queries, which would produce tables that are directly consumable in my dashboard.

The point is that when I execute the dbxquery on the indexer, where the DB Conn App has been installed, all works fine. I can also open it in the search there.

But when I try to execute the dbxquery where I actually would like to, in the search server, I get the following error:

Search Factory: Unknown search command 'dbxquery'.

Also, the dbxquery command does not appear in blue there as on the indexer, which I guess means it is not recognized.

Could you please confirm, that the DB Conn App has to be installed also on the server where the search is executed? I mean not only on the indexer?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Yes, you need to have dbconnect installed and configured with relevant identities and connections on the actual machine where you use the dbxquery command.

Typically you'd install it in two places:
- Heavy Forwarder for scheduled inputs that import data base content into Splunk
- Search Head(s) / Search Head Cluster for dbxquery command

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Yes, you need to have dbconnect installed and configured with relevant identities and connections on the actual machine where you use the dbxquery command.

Typically you'd install it in two places:
- Heavy Forwarder for scheduled inputs that import data base content into Splunk
- Search Head(s) / Search Head Cluster for dbxquery command

0 Karma

damucka
Builder

Hello Frank,

Thank you.
Is there any possibility to access the Indexer from the Search Head to execute the dbxquery?
My Splunk Admin colleague would not like to install the DB Conn App on the Search Head as there is no disk volume there for my data.

Also, if this is not possible, would it work when I define the Input on the Indexer and access it from the Search Head?

Kind regards,
Kamil

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

What exactly do you mean by "there is no disk volume there for my data"? What data? What search (incl. dbxquery) are you running exactly?

You could run DB Connect on a heavy forwarder, to periodically query the database and then forward the results to your indexer(s) for indexing. Then you can search that indexed data from your searchhead.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...