All Apps and Add-ons

What's the best way of getting data from our Splunk servers?

Robbie1194
Communicator

Hi guys,

Just a few quick questions about getting Splunk server data into splunk!

Our splunk environment collects a large amount of security data from thousands of sources, yet, we don't collect any security data from the Splunk servers themselves (they run on Redhat linux OS). I was thinking of adding all of our servers (Cluster master, license master, deployer etc) to our deployment server and create a server class with the the *nix TA to ingest the relevant host data we want. Is this the best solution or does anyone have any better ideas on how to do it?

Also, can the deployment server be a client of itself? How do we get data from it to our indexer cluster if not?

Is the indexer cluster okay with forwarding data to itself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The indexers (and heavy forwarders) wont need to forward data to themselves.
Any applications you install on an indexer/hf will be picked up without having to specify anything in outputs.conf (unless you want to send them to a specific indexer for example) - Just make sure you set your indexes in inputs.conf.

Deployment servers, Search Heads, and CMs can all be configured to forward events just like any other UF.
(But, you cant use a deployment server to manage a deployment server - so you will have to configure that one locally 🙂 but otherwise, yes, you can push out a configured *nix TA app to collect your interesting data.

(Beware of enabling ALL the scripted inputs, as they can be a bit intensive.)

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

The indexers (and heavy forwarders) wont need to forward data to themselves.
Any applications you install on an indexer/hf will be picked up without having to specify anything in outputs.conf (unless you want to send them to a specific indexer for example) - Just make sure you set your indexes in inputs.conf.

Deployment servers, Search Heads, and CMs can all be configured to forward events just like any other UF.
(But, you cant use a deployment server to manage a deployment server - so you will have to configure that one locally 🙂 but otherwise, yes, you can push out a configured *nix TA app to collect your interesting data.

(Beware of enabling ALL the scripted inputs, as they can be a bit intensive.)

0 Karma

Robbie1194
Communicator

Yeah that's more or less what I was thinking! Thanks for the reassurance.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

A deployment server Splunk instance cannot be a deployment client of itself, but you should be able to install a UF (=a different Splunk instance) on your deployment server to collect local log files and manage that UF with DS.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@ssievert - what is your opinion of having the deployment server have the needed apps deployed to it without it actually being a deployment client (rather than a UF installed in parallel)? This might be implemented with symlinks, rsynch, or just a duplicate copy of the app from the deployment-apps folder to the deployment server's apps folder.

Thoughts? Any technical challenges? Or is it just easier to maintain by having the UF installed, hence that suggestion.

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That should be fine.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

I wonder how common of an approach this is?
As it happens I have come across just this very scenario today, but I cant see a significant advantage (other than as you note above) as it adds complexity (speaking from someone picking apart an undocumented environment) and increases the number of wtf's per hour before i realised that /opt/splunkforwarder was also on the box. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...