All Apps and Add-ons

What is the username that I will use when initializing Kerberos ticket cache?

chanthongphiob
Path Finder

I'm trying to set up DB Connect by downloading JDBC driver for Microsoft SQL Server. The platform is Linux so needing to install the SQL Server database driver using the MS Generic driver with Kerberos authentication. However, in the instructions for setting up the Kerberos ticket cache, there needs to be a username and domain entered into the kinit command. Is the username associated to the username that will access the Network SQL database or is the username associated to the local username as when trying to perform tasks with elevated privileges? The two usernames are different. Below is a snip from the splunk docs instructions that are needed to be performed.

Back on the machine running DB Connect, use the kinit command to generate a krb5.conf file, which Kerberos will use to authenticate with the SQL Server for DB Connect.

First, install kinit by entering the following at the command line:

apt-get install krb5-user

If you are prompted to enter a realm, enter the domain name you obtained in Step 1, but in all upper-case letters. For example, if your domain is abc.dbx, you’d enter ABC.DBX.

Next, use kinit to initialize the Kerberos ticket cache. Enter the following at the command line, replacing with the appropriate user name (such as Administrator) and with the domain name, in upper-case letters:

kinit username@DOMAIN

The krb5.conf has been generated in the /etc directory.

Note: If the krb5.conf file is not in the /etc directory, set the following option in JVM Options under the Settings tab: -Djava.security.krb5.conf=/path/to/krb5.conf

0 Karma
1 Solution

chanthongphiob
Path Finder

Use the username that is associated with the Kerberos Authentication for the tickets.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

chanthongphiob
Path Finder

Use the username that is associated with the Kerberos Authentication for the tickets.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...