All Apps and Add-ons

What is the default behavior for an app that does not have an app.conf file?

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If I have a Splunk App that does not contain an app.conf file, what is the default behavior? I'm trying to figure out if my app is turned on or off.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

I think it is important to mention versions here.

In 4.x, we have app.conf

In version 3.x we have the MANIFEST file.

When migrating from 3.x to 4.x there is no app.conf created during migration. Thus, we have the undesired behavior of all apps from version 3.x disabled via MANIFEST file are now enabled after migration to 4.x

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion

I think it is important to mention versions here.

In 4.x, we have app.conf

In version 3.x we have the MANIFEST file.

When migrating from 3.x to 4.x there is no app.conf created during migration. Thus, we have the undesired behavior of all apps from version 3.x disabled via MANIFEST file are now enabled after migration to 4.x

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

sounds like a migration bug.

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In keeping with historial behavior, apps with no app.conf anywhere are enabled.

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are doing anything that is non-trivial you are going to need this file, since it is what the UI needs for showing labels and configs. Without it I believe it would just be a container of confs. Depending on what you define in your metadata/default.meta it is likely that the confs will not be accessible by other apps so you'll have a hard time taking advantage of anything you put in it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...