All Apps and Add-ons

What index should sysmon data go into and how /where to change the index?

packet_hunter
Contributor

I have successfully installed sysmon and verified the schemaversion matches the schemaversion in the config file (sysmonconfig-export.xml by SwiftonSecurity). I have confirmed that sysmon is running in event viewer (Application and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Sysmon > Operational).

I downloaded and installed the TA-microsoft-sysmon on the search head I use.
I also copied the TA-sysmon folder to the deployment server (\Splunk\etc\deployment-apps\TA-microsoft-sysmon) and then deployed it to my UF running on my test host.

I ran my handy query

|tstats values(sourcetype) WHERE index=* by index

and noticed the data was rolling into the default main index...

How do I change the index to winsysmon ? or does anyone have a better idea which index the sysmon data should go in?

Thank you

1 Solution

dstaulcu
Builder

It would be more (computationally) efficient to define the desired on index on the endpoints via index = winsysmon spec in inputs.conf than it would be to transform/reroute the events on the indexers via props/transforms.conf. The indexers are going to busy enough extracting XML fields at search time for that dense sysmon data set.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

It would be more (computationally) efficient to define the desired on index on the endpoints via index = winsysmon spec in inputs.conf than it would be to transform/reroute the events on the indexers via props/transforms.conf. The indexers are going to busy enough extracting XML fields at search time for that dense sysmon data set.

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Please convert your comment to an answer...

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

done & thank you

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Thank you dstaulcu.
Your comments confirm what I was thinking and what other team members have done.

1) Put the new index on the indexers (in indexes.conf)
2) Put the new index in the inputs.conf - we don't edit default so I create a new inputs.conf in local of the deployment app.

Please convert your comment to an answer.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add index=winsysmon to the appropriate stanza in your props.conf file.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

damode
Motivator

After I did the above step, I got this message during Splunk restart,

Invalid key in stanza [XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational] in c:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\TA-microsoft-sysmon\local\props.conf, line 33: index (value: winsysmon).

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

what does line 33 of props.conf say?

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

Props.conf
line 33- index =winsysmon

0 Karma

dstaulcu
Builder

that spec does not belong in props.conf. It belongs in inputs.conf.

0 Karma

damode
Motivator

Thanks for clarifying.

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

Admittedly, I don't have experience creating new indexes in this scenario.

I was thinking that I had to define the new index on the indexers (not clustered) first and then define the index in a local file to the app I want to deploy...

Would your solution automatically create the index on the indexers too?

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

here is the beginning of the props.conf (default>props.conf) from the TA-microsoft-sysmon

[XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational]
#SEDCMD-pwd_rule1 = s/ -pw ([^\s\<])+/ -pw ***MASK***/g
REPORT-sysmon = sysmon-eventid,sysmon-version,sysmon-level,sysmon-task,sysmon-opcode,sysmon-keywords,sysmon-created,sysmon-record,sysmon-correlation,sysmon-channel,sysmon-computer,sysmon-sid,sysmon-data,sysmon-md5,sysmon-sha1,sysmon-sha256,sysmon-imphash,sysmon-hashes,sysmon-filename,sysmon-registry
EVAL-src_ip = SourceIp
EVAL-src_host = SourceHostname
EVAL-src = if(isnotnull(SourceHostname),SourceHostname,SourceIp)
EVAL-src_port = SourcePort
EVAL-action = "allowed"
EVAL-app = Image
EVAL-dest_ip = DestinationIp

should this be as follows?
[winsysmon://XmlWinEventLog:Microsoft-Windows-Sysmon/Operational]

but I am not sure where else the winsysmon index needs defining....

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, the index must exist on the indexers first.
The index = attribute merely tells Splunk where to store your data. It does not create the index itself.
Put index = winsysmon in the XmlWinEventLog stanza of props.conf. Restart Splunk and data should go to the right place.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

packet_hunter
Contributor

Ok thank you for the reply.
So then (following your answer) please verify that I am understanding correctly,
step one put the index on the indexers in indexes.conf and restart the indexers
step two put [index=winsysmon] in the props.conf in the Sysmon-TA prior to deploying to the UF

anything else that needs to be done???

I will admit that I am still somewhat confused because I am used to seeing an index defined in an indexes.conf in the app. Sometimes its in the default folder or created new in a local folder by one of my team mates. But I don't usually see it in the props.conf.

Is there an advantage to defining the index in props.conf vs in a separate/new indexes.conf under local in the app?

Thank you

0 Karma

packet_hunter
Contributor

I am not sure where I define the new index name and whether I a just add a new indexes.conf to the app,

[winsysmon]
homePath   = $SPLUNK_DB\winsysmon\db
coldPath   = $SPLUNK_DB\winsysmon\colddb
thawedPath = $SPLUNK_DB\winsysmon\thaweddb
disabled = false
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...