All Apps and Add-ons

Webinterface won't start after upgrade to version 8

alsur
journal errors:
2020-02-17 14:25:40,970 ERROR   [5e4a9454e57f47298bc7d0] root:769 - Unable to start splunkweb
2020-02-17 14:25:40,970 ERROR   [5e4a9454e57f47298bc7d0] root:770 - inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation (HiddenSearchSwapper.py, lin$
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/root.py", line 132, in <module>
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle.controllers.top import TopController
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/controllers/top.py", line 27, in <module>
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle.controllers.admin import AdminController
TabError: inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation

Upgrading from version 6 to 7 and the to 8. First upgrade seemed to when ok.
Also lost figuring out if the service gets updated or /opt/splunk/splunk start should be used instead.

Odd thin is that
./splunk cmd python --version
returns: Python 2.7.17 but errors talk about python 3.7

0 Karma

jsmith84

I had the same issue. Turned out to be a problem app that wasn't compatible with Python 3. Prior to upgrading to 8 be sure to install the Splunk Platform Upgrade Readiness App and scan all apps. You must not have any blocker apps or your upgrade will likely fail. In my case, it appeared to upgrade but then the web service wouldn't start.

0 Karma

moliminous
Path Finder

If using the FREE version at home, you will have to add the following line to your /etc/system/local/server.conf under the [general] tab (leave the other settings under [general] as well, but it should look like this, along with your other settings under there of course. For Splunk Enterprise, there is more information at the Docs link below.

[general]
allowRemoteLogin = always

You can read about this and more information at this link, though I am submitting an edit to the page to correct typos and be more specific:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/LaunchSplunkWeb

0 Karma

jsmith84

Bump. I am having the same issue, anyone have any ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...