The output looks like this

2018-02-03 09:00    65
2018-02-03 10:00    123
2018-02-03 11:00    92

What I want to see is this instead

1512813600  65
1512817200  123
1512820800  92

I want to take the output of the search and send it into a forecast time series in the Splunk Machine Learning section. I know I can use this

index=vpn sourcetype=vpn_device login 
| bin _time AS "Time" span=1h
| stats count AS logins by "Time"

to get output 2, but the model requires _time, count to work.

Forecast Time Series
Predict likely future values given past values of a metric (numerical time series).

Choose an example dataset or enter a search (should contain "_time" field with unix timestamp values)

So any thoughts on how I can do this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

akim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

You don't need to convert "_time" values to Unix timestamps in order to use Time Series Forecasting in the Machine Learning Toolkit.
If you use "predict" command, then it needs to be preceded by the "timechart" command. See: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/SearchReference/Predict
There is no such requirement for ARIMA algorithm: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MLApp/3.1.0/User/ForecastTimeSeries

You can always modify the format of the time values after you perform the forecasting.

Please refer to the time-series forecasting showcases available in the app for more examples.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @davpx - A few things are kind of confusing here, that might help clear things up...

Splunk will magically display an epoch time (e.g. 1512813600) as a formatted string ( e.g. 2018-02-03 09:00) when the field is named _time.

Secondly, the MLTK is looking specifically for a field called _time, so if you didn't rename your field in the bin command, it probably would've worked. However...

The makecontinous command is needed after bin + stats because otherwise you may have empty bins (that can be misleading if not re-added).

These two things are for all practical purposes equivalent

| timechart count span=1h

and

| bin _time span=1h
| stats count by _time
| makecontinuous _time

The timechart command does add in some hidden fields and helps with formatting. So if you don't need to use stats in this scenario, timechart is probably a lot easier.

Lastly, if you do have a string that needs to become an epoch time, checkout the strptime eval function:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.1/SearchReference/DateandTimeFunctions

0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

@aljohnson - Thanks for the additional information. That did clear up a few things in my mind.

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Oops I tagged the other answer-er - Sorry @Davpx - I meant to tag you @jwhughes58. Glad it helped 🙂

0 Karma

akim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

You don't need to convert "_time" values to Unix timestamps in order to use Time Series Forecasting in the Machine Learning Toolkit.
If you use "predict" command, then it needs to be preceded by the "timechart" command. See: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/SearchReference/Predict
There is no such requirement for ARIMA algorithm: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/MLApp/3.1.0/User/ForecastTimeSeries

You can always modify the format of the time values after you perform the forecasting.

Please refer to the time-series forecasting showcases available in the app for more examples.

0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

HI Akim,

Thanks. I was misreading that section as epoch time. All it has to be is a "Unix Timestamp." When I changed my search to

index=vpn sourcetype=juniper:sslvpn login 
| timechart count as logins span=1h

the prediction worked correctly.

Regards,
Joe

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

_time is actually epoch translated for you in the UI, an easy way to strip the translation is to rename _time to something else or use an alias,

| eval epoch=_time

0 Karma

jwhughes58
Contributor

Hi Davpx,

I appreciate the reply, but as I wrote in the original question the model requires _time in epoch format. I'm trying to find out if I can get the epoch time value without having it translated to my TZ in the UI.

Regards,
Joe

0 Karma

davpx
Communicator

Right and _time is actually in epoch format under the covers but it sounds like you got it resolved.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...