All Apps and Add-ons

Version Control for Splunk - "Restore has failed to complete successfully"

dshatto
Loves-to-Learn Everything

@Garethan

When trying to test the app I get the following when trying to restore a dashboard 

"Restore has failed to complete successfully in app search, object of type dashboard, with name <object name> "

I have confirmed that Im' using the Object URI/Name (not label).

In looking at the backup.log it is giving two warnings and an error:

WARNING i="splunkVCBackup" error/fatal messages in git stderroutput please review. stderrout="b'\n*** Please tell me who you are.\n\nRun\n\n git config --global user.email "you@example.com"\n git config --global user.name "Your Name"\n\nto set your account\'s default identity.\nOmit --global to set the identity only in this repository.\n\nfatal: empty ident name (for <splunk@<server.xx.xxx>) not allowed\nTo git@gitlab.com-<repo>/sharedteams/<project>/<repo>.git\n * [new tag] 2020-08-03_0746 -> 2020-08-03_0746\n'"

ERROR i="splunkVCBackup" git failure occurred during runtime, not updating the epoch value. This failure may require investigation, please refer to the WARNING messages in the logs

WARNING i="splunkVCBackup" wiping the git directory, dir=/opt/<repo dir>/vcbackup to allow re-cloning on next run of the script.  vcbackup is the temp directory under the main repo.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dshatto

Backup results:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_backup.py", line 294, in <module>
vc.run_script()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_backup_class.py", line 931, in run_script
config = self.get_config()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_backup_class.py", line 120, in get_config
raise Exception("Error getting Splunk configuration via STDIN: %s" % str(e))
Exception: Error getting Splunk configuration via STDIN: list index out of range

Restore results:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_restore.py", line 279, in <module>
vc.run_script()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_restore_class.py", line 852, in run_script
config = self.get_config()
File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_restore_class.py", line 111, in get_config
raise Exception("Error getting Splunk configuration via STDIN: %s" % str(e))
Exception: Error getting Splunk configuration via STDIN: list index out of range

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok sure, so let's start a bit smaller:

splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://replaceme

Does that print you current config?

splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://replaceme | splunk cmd python simpleinput.py

Does that keep the current config? (it adds in a session token if it's working, where simpleinput.py is from that other answers post updated with your username/password)

If the above two work then the final | to the backup script should work, if not then it will fail 🙂

0 Karma

dshatto

If you're asking if the first command prints the git config the answer would be no.

Results for first command:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<input>
<server_host>xxx0449</server_host>
<server_uri>https://127.0.0.1:8089</server_uri>
<session_key>PfNoaFwCGcToSSVQ5kZArE8o9_Xo_2fHjkoVVcd3mrdcIQrgDZzwIqKadLrac1sSjjTGYlGV9pTaeqo4zYbr3OQSCZlllY^gv1Se_POL0QxRdCmxnG3MlpKqOo</session_key>
<checkpoint_dir>/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/splunkversioncontrol_backup</checkpoint_dir>
<configuration/>
</input>

0 Karma

dshatto

Update:

Ok so I ran the two commands here are the results for each.

First:

[splunk@xxx0449 bin]$ splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://replaceme
<input>
<session_key>IpQDTnImlHjbWXWbD3CZBS6QNk5PlYNETW^zCK9CkkUXJoXRx6a22CahehtQysSoYo6BUOJUac0orTGXmvjXZutToHVRKqqkjr_NRf5nklFfQ8PJWXAzZdC</session_key>
<checkpoint_dir>/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/modinputs/splunkversioncontrol_backup</checkpoint_dir>
<configuration/>
</input>

Second:

[splunk@xxx0449 bin]$ splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://replaceme | splunk cmd python simpleinput.py
<input>
<session_key>NoK09aPhdzZ7OS9aJEYXfQS4hWqeZ0j6ZBFZPMUNA4bltpBbkYHTjS7HelV9qj0geqGKLI7lubiZpyYZkmPLk5L3DLvpQ3wndAupY94gDklr9C</session_key>
<configuration/>
</input>

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just to confirm you are changing replaceme to match the actual name in the data inputs -> splunk version control backup?

The configuration section should have something like:

<configuration>
<stanza name="splunkversioncontrol_backup://namegoeshere" app="SplunkVersionControl">

With a list under configuration...

0 Karma

dshatto

Sorry, guess I didn't catch that.  I have rerun both commands changing it to the input name:

[splunk@xx0449 bin]$ splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://splunkVCbackup
<input>
<server_host>xx0449</server_host>
<session_key>fBmnf6SSgtAQGAA1WVVHkAr86CeqKYEKfFWCOm5NQn5pCcIsufbseTxVdziEGkogm7IGgsWHyApIOzOlIxyPe77LPV86K1FFAK8rxvkRWIB_A^hfqSr</session_key>
<configuration/>
</input>
[splunk@xx0449 bin]$ splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://splunkVCbackup | splunk cmd python simpleinput.py
<input>
<session_key>loPzTBXmABI9UqlhOT2_x1LhepL9_W8vSZQy_YkM^^5e_qhDuxCRJQDr73Piwx1CVaSdTEi6eu91AKSWRJk_hCstzfsP1sOkl7fMNt^RsqtAmaGR2F</session_key>
<configuration/>
</input>

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

<configuration/>

Is a problem, if you are on <yoursplunkinstance>/en-GB/manager/search/data/inputs/splunkversioncontrol_backup

Does the splunkVCbackup appear as the name?

If so you should see some information under <configuration/> from that command...

0 Karma

dshatto

The data input is actually named splunkVCBackup not splunkVCbackup.

Here are the results after rerunning the commands:

First:

<input>
<session_key>uzIbJ1FWmEyWVag7Dt7BVI2RMXAXZO2KRsek7hcu3ntKNjMIy307D1DBWgEnyiNxVM0stfwHLrSqEwE3P3fadwj8b8aGzjlyZP8xF81K^AnPj9maThWbCF</session_key>
<configuration>
<stanza name="splunkversioncontrol_backup://splunkVCBackup" app="search">
<param name="debugMode">true</param>
<param name="gitRepoURL">git@gitlab.com-pt9splunk:ciorg/sharedteams/ptn/pt9splunk.git</param>
<param name="gitTempDir">/opt/pt9splunk/vcbackup1</param>
<param name="host">xxx0449</param>
<param name="includeEntities"></param>
<param name="index">main</param>
<param name="interval">300</param>
<param name="noDisabled">false</param>
<param name="noPrivate">false</param>
<param name="python.version">python3</param>
<param name="remoteAppName">local</param>
<param name="srcPassword">c0mp4ss10n!</param>
<param name="srcURL">https://xx.xx.xx.58:8089</param>
<param name="srcUsername">splunkvcgituser</param>
</stanza>
</configuration>
</input>

Second:

<input>
<session_key>9rrMOzI4oyNcG156YdUK5t68WTRHEVbaMFj6VlkxhPNBKAHM6U^DXue24icQ3kFkxo8d1ghTXXtFUkfNBEA6pYXYKZhiRLlql3Whb7hSikK0RlS</session_key>
<configuration/>
</input>

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://splunkVCBackup | splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_backup.py

Will probably fail but:

splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config splunkversioncontrol_backup splunkversioncontrol_backup://splunkVCBackup | splunk cmd python simpleinput.py | splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SplunkVersionControl/bin/splunkversioncontrol_backup.py

Should have worked, I'm unsure why you are not seeing the <configuration> section after adding the simpleinput.py into the mix, it worked on my env.

Let me re-test again

0 Karma

dshatto

Any update?

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry I tested and they worked fine for me!

So just to confirm, is the git repository getting commits related to backups?

If not is the splunkversioncontrol_backup log on the server running the backups still throwing the error about the name not been configured?

Finally, does the previous python command still not show the <configuration> section as it should if run on the right server...

0 Karma

dshatto

I just confirmed that the Gitlab remote repository is getting commits, or at least it got some last week.

When I run the last python script from the bin directory on the deployment server I now get this error:

InsecureRequestWarning: Unverified HTTPS request is being made. Adding certificate verification is strongly advised. See: https://urllib3.readthedocs.io/en/latest/advanced-usage.html#ssl-warnings

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...