All Apps and Add-ons

VMware esxilogs sourcetype vmw-syslog hyphen problem

mikefg
Communicator

I'm working on getting VMware logs into Splunk and ran into a problem with the hyphen in the vmw-syslog sourcetype in Splunk_TA_esxilogs. When I remove the hyphen or just use syslog as the sourcetype it works fine. I'm not a regex expert, so I'm assuming the regex in transforms.conf for [set_syslog_sourcetype] isn't quite right or maybe [set_syslog_sourcetype_sections], but I'm not sure how to adjust it.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mikefg
Communicator

Looking at internal logs using ' index=_internal "vmw" ' I saw that there was a file that couldn't be found. The file is specified in props.conf at DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/apps/Splunk_TA_esxilogs/default/syslog_datetime.xml which references the 'apps' directory. I'm using indexer clustering, so the app is installed at 'slave-apps' not 'apps'. I created a local/props.conf on my cluster master and changed the path to DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/slave-apps/Splunk_TA_esxilogs/default/syslog_datetime.xml and now it's working.

View solution in original post

gordo32
Communicator

@mikefg Thanks for this. Don't know why this isn't in the installation portion of the documentation instead of finding it in the Troubleshooting section.

Splunk Gods should fix that (or use a relative path in props.conf instead so no manual changes needed).

0 Karma

mikefg
Communicator

Looking at internal logs using ' index=_internal "vmw" ' I saw that there was a file that couldn't be found. The file is specified in props.conf at DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/apps/Splunk_TA_esxilogs/default/syslog_datetime.xml which references the 'apps' directory. I'm using indexer clustering, so the app is installed at 'slave-apps' not 'apps'. I created a local/props.conf on my cluster master and changed the path to DATETIME_CONFIG = /etc/slave-apps/Splunk_TA_esxilogs/default/syslog_datetime.xml and now it's working.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...